Maryland men’s basketball guard Aquan Smart is entering the transfer portal, he announced Thursday afternoon on Twitter.

The Evanston, Illinois, native was one of coach Mark Turgeon’s five freshmen. A former three-star prospect, Smart had received interest from California, Indiana and Texas, among other schools.

Smart played sparingly during his one season in College Park, tallying 30 points, 20 rebounds and 13 assists in 22 games. Smart saw decent minutes in the Terps’ nonconference slate, and he made subtle but valuable contributions in upset victories over Wisconsin and Illinois.

[Mark Turgeon signs three-year contract extension with Maryland men’s basketball]

He also helped provide a spark on the bench as one of Maryland’s brashest personalities on the sidelines. Highlight reel dunks and deep threes were often accompanied with a frenzied Smart dance routine or a loud “BOOM!”

Still, as the season wore on, Smart’s playing time dwindled. He racked up just four minutes in the Terps’ last 10 games, struggling to crack the regular rotation amid Maryland’s postseason push.

With Fatts Russell’s impending arrival, it seemed Smart’s role was set to undergo further changes. But now, Smart sets his sights elsewhere, hoping to make a mark in new threads. Smart’s departure frees a scholarship slot for the Terps, opening the door for another transfer to join Turgeon’s squad — a pathway that has proved fruitful for Maryland in recent days.