Maryland men’s basketball added to its guard depth Saturday afternoon, securing transfer Fatts Russell from Rhode Island, per his Instagram.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Daron Russell (@limitless.fatts)

Russell impressed during his time with the Rams, racking up first team all-conference honors as a junior. He’s the program’s all-time leader in steals and is among the best perimeter defenders in the country, earning all-conference defensive honors after averaging 2.87 steals per game back in 2019-20.

Russell, a Philadelphia native, played at Imhotep Charter, the same high school as Terps forward Donta Scott.

[Maryland men’s basketball lands transfer big man Qudus Wahab]

Maryland’s guards impressed for much of this season, helping recoup the production it lost after Anthony Cowan’s graduation. Eric Ayala and Aaron Wiggins were the Terps’ two best scorers.

But much of their success hinged on playing off-ball. Hakim Hart emerged as Maryland’s lead playmaker midway through the season, opening up the floor for Ayala and Wiggins.

Russell, a high-volume shooter, will likely be expected to fill a similar role in College Park. He averaged 14.7 points, 4.5 rebounds and 4.5 assists on 33.7 percent shooting this season.

However, with Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year Darryl Morsell set to leave the program, Russell’s looks set to add to Maryland’s defensive exploits next year. Under Morsell’s leadership, the Terps gave up the third-fewest points per game in the conference this season.

Now, Maryland has another impressive defender, capable of plucking the ball from unsuspecting guards with ease. Coupled with Qudus Wahab’s impending arrival, the Terps have fortified their versatility and depth — both in the paint and on the perimeter.