Maryland men’s basketball is keeping its bench boss around for a few more years. Mark Turgeon signed a three-year contract extension that keeps him in College Park through the 2025-26 season, the team announced Wednesday evening.

The new deal will pay Turgeon $17.5 million over the next five years, not including potential bonuses. The head coach will receive a base salary of $725,000 per year — the highest of any active coach at the University of Maryland. That’s a slight increase from Turgeon’s fiscal year 2021 base salary of $709,130, per records obtained via a public information request.

The vast majority of his salary comes from supplemental annual income — fulfilling apparel contracts and making television, radio, promotional and fundraising appearances. Yearly bonuses of up to $545,000 are also possible if the Terps wins a Big Ten title or makes a deep NCAA tournament run, and Turgeon collects coach of the year accolades.

[Maryland men’s basketball picks up transfer point guard Fatts Russell]

“We believe in Coach Turgeon and are excited about what the future holds for Maryland basketball,” athletic director Damon Evans said. “Coach is fully committed to Maryland and we are in agreement of the expectations for our program as we move forward.”

Turgeon has racked up wins while shepherding the Terps, posting a 221-113 record since taking the role in 2011. He’s led Maryland to five NCAA tournaments since arriving in College Park, highlighted by a Sweet 16 run back in 2015-16.

During his time at the helm, the Terps have largely impressed in conference play. Since joining the Big Ten in 2014-15, Maryland has posted a .689 win percentage, tied for third-best in the conference.

He’s also proved to be a solid recruiter and developed a penchant for nurturing talent — six Terps have been selected in the NBA draft over the last five years.

[Maryland men’s basketball lands transfer big man Qudus Wahab]

Last season represented a down year for Turgeon’s squad, which struggled to replicate the performance of its 2019-20 team — a group that clinched a share of the Big Ten regular season title. Playing with an undersized rotation, Maryland sulked to a 4-9 conference record after a loss to Ohio State.

But the Terps surged in February, en route to an unlikely No. 10 seed and a win in the NCAA tournament. After adding Georgetown big Qudus Wahab and Rhode Island guard Fatts Russell via the transfer portal, Maryland looks poised to compete for the conference crown once more.

Now, the Terps have given Turgeon their backing to do so, both next year and beyond.

“Maryland is a special place and my commitment to the program has never wavered,” Turgeon said in a statement. “We are building great momentum heading into the 2021-22 season and I am excited for our future.”