Lizzie Colson and Grace Griffin have garnered weekly Big Ten honors after Maryland women’s lacrosse’s weekend sweep of Ohio State. Colson has been named Big Ten Co-Defensive Player of the Week, and Griffin has been named Midfielder of the Week.

This is the second week in a row Colson has earned the award and the sixth time in her career. This is the first weekly honor for Griffin since she was freshman of the week in 2018.

Colson led the way in two of the best all-around performances from a growing Maryland backline. In both wins over the Buckeyes, she led the team in ground balls, caused turnovers and draw controls. In Saturday’s 11-5 victory, she even connected with fellow captain Brindi Griffin to tally her third career assist.

[Maryland women’s lacrosse has found defensive stability during five-game win streak]

Grace Griffin starred in the Terps’ 14-9 win on Thursday, crashing through the Ohio State defense early and finishing a hat trick in seven minutes. She added another goal and four assists, two of which came in the second half as the captain aided Hannah Leubecker in scoring seven goals.

Griffin, Colson and Brindi Griffin have been raking in awards; all three garnered Preseason All-American honors from Inside Lacrosse and were named to the Tewaaraton Award Watch List.

Since returning from injury, Colson has reestablished herself as one of the top defenders in the country. Meanwhile, Griffin has taken over in her role as a leader across all aspects of the field.

Colson and Griffin’s heightened play has helped Maryland rack up a five-game win streak, but they face their toughest opponent yet as they travel to Evanston, Illinois, to take on No. 3 Northwestern in a two-game series on March 27 and March 29.

[Maryland women’s lacrosse uses stout defense to get past Ohio State, 11-5]