Maryland football’s coaching staff is now complete. The Terps hired Josh Gattis to be their new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, the team announced in a news release Thursday. They also hired former Texas State defensive coordinator Zac Spavital as their new safeties coach.

“Josh and I have a strong relationship and a proven track record of working together to produce a potent offense,” coach Mike Locksley said in the release. “He and I share many of the same philosophies, and it should be a very smooth transition.”

Gattis comes to College Park following one season as the offensive coordinator at Miami. He spent a year alongside Locksley at Alabama in 2018 before three seasons at Michigan in the same position.

His hire comes just weeks after the Terps brought on associate head coach Kevin Sumlin, who will also serve as co-offensive coordinator and tight ends coach.

[Former Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin joins Maryland football’s offensive staff]

The duo will look to replace the services of offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Dan Enos and co-offensive coordinator and tight ends coach Mike Miller, who left the Terps for jobs at Arkansas and Charlotte, respectively.

Gattis has multiple college football playoff appearances to his name and helped the Wolverines win the 2021 Big Ten championship. He was named the 2021 Broyles Award winner as the nation’s top assistant coach.
He will now coach an offense led by fourth-year quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa, who sits atop Maryland’s career passing yards and passing touchdowns record board.

[Maryland football offensive coordinator Dan Enos to join Arkansas in same role]

Spavital was nominated for the Broyles Award in 2022 and has been a defensive coach for 18 years.

“Zac comes to us with a history of being part of defenses that have a tremendous amount of success, especially when it comes to being aggressive and taking the ball away,” Locksley said in the release. “He’s worked with some really strong football minds during his career, and we’re excited about what he brings to our staff and how he’ll be able to develop our players.”