Bud Coombs wanted to play football and baseball in college. Some schools didn’t offer that opportunity for the DeMatha standout.

Maryland was one of the schools that did. The class of 2025 prospect committed to Matt Swope and Michael Locksley last Wednesday, citing the ability to play both sports as a major factor in his decision.

“I just felt like Maryland was a different type of love,” Coombs said. “It could have been because they’re from my hometown, I related to [coaches] more … I just felt like they loved me a lot more.”

Swope was the first Maryland coach to contact Coombs as a freshman. The then-associate coach targeted the outfielder’s natural athleticism and speed in the outfield.

“Very few people can play baseball and football at the level that he can play,” Bill McGregor, Coombs’ football coach and the former DeMatha baseball coach, said.

[Maryland baseball defeats Rutgers in rubber match, 6-4, secures series win]

On the football field, Coombs describes himself as a high-effort running back who evades tackles and blocks out of the backfield. The three-star prospect is the No. 19 recruit in the state of Maryland, according to 247Sports. The Stags advanced to the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference title game last season before falling to Good Counsel.

“He can do whatever you want him to do,” McGregor said. “He’s just a good football player. He can pass the ball, can catch the ball. And he’s a threat score anytime he touches it.”

Coombs knew he wanted to play both sports in college. Multiple teams, including Alabama, offered him in baseball but not football.

The Crimson Tide made a bid until the end, with Anthony Papio — a former Maryland assistant coach who followed Rob Vaughn to Alabama — attending a DeMatha game days before Coombs committed.

Swope and Coombs share a unique bond — they’re both DeMatha products. Swope graduated from the Hyattsville school in 1998 before playing for Maryland. Coombs said the two talk frequently and relate to each other outside of baseball, connecting over Swope’s alma mater.

[Kenny Lippman has found success in his move to Maryland baseball’s bullpen]

Coombs’ commitment aligns with Maryland baseball’s recent focus to keep in-state talent. Out of the 16 incoming Terps’ freshmen, 10 hail from either Maryland or Virginia. Swope, fellow DeMatha grad Johnny Poss and Jimmy Jackson are all Maryland natives, which has helped them recruit locally.

“We’re gonna go after those guys first, that’s going to be our hotbed and then we’re gonna move out from there,” Swope said at media day in January. “Guys like Jimmy and Johnny who are from Maryland, that take a lot of pride in it, have deep-rooted relationships with the coaches. And that will always be our lifeline as far as recruiting goes.”

Coombs noted the potential to see his family at each game as a factor in his decision. But it was also the “love” from the school that differentiated itself from others, as well as the ability to star in both sports.

“The Terps are gonna get everything and more out of me,” Coombs said. “I’m gonna give them everything I have.”