Kevin Sumlin is Maryland football’s new co-offensive coordinator, the team announced Wednesday. He was also tabbed as the associate head coach and tight ends coach.

The hire comes after two offensive staff members, offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Dan Enos and co-offensive coordinator and tight ends coach Mike Miller, left the Terps for jobs at Arkansas and Charlotte, respectively.

Maryland currently doesn’t have another co-offensive coordinator to join Sumlin or a new quarterbacks coach.

[Maryland football offensive coordinator Dan Enos to join Arkansas in same role]

“Kevin brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to our staff and I couldn’t be more thrilled that he’s joining our program,” head coach Mike Locksley said in a press release. “My relationship with Kevin goes back over 25 years. He has a tremendous football mind, along with a proven track record of developing players and winning at the highest levels.”

Sumlin comes to College Park following one season as head coach and general manager for the Houston Gamblers of the United States Football League following more than a decade of collegiate head-coaching. He’s previously held head coaching jobs at Texas A&M, Houston and Arizona.

Sumlin coached Aggies quarterback Johnny Manziel during his Heisman Trophy-winning season in 2012. As a freshman, Manziel threw for over 3400 yards and ran for over 1100 more while accounting for 43 touchdowns on the year.

[Taulia Tagovailoa announces he will play for Maryland football in 2023]

The coach went 51-26 at Texas A&M and won three bowl games in six seasons. His offenses led the SEC in passing, scoring and total offense twice during that stretch.

Now, Sumlin will take over an offense led by Taulia Tagovailoa, the most decorated quarterback in program history. Tagovailoa currently ranks first in career passing yards, completions, touchdowns and total offense, and he was named Second Team All-Big Ten last season.

The Terps will open their 2023 season against Towson at SECU Stadium on Sept. 2.