Four-star guard DeShawn Harris-Smith announced his commitment to Maryland men’s basketball Wednesday on a 247Sports livestream.

The 6-foot-4 Fairfax, Va. native is the third player to commit to the Terps in the 2023 class, joining former teammates Jamie Kaiser and Jahnathan Lamothe.

“The two guys committed in my class right now, I’ve already played with both of them so we already have good chemistry from the jump,” Harris-Smith told 247Sports. “Being a hometown group, we would have a lot of push and support behind us. Coach Willard is a great coach who does the best for his guys and lets them rock out.”

Harris-Smith is ranked as the 39th best player in the nation and the top prospect from Virginia by 247Sports.

[Jamie Kaiser opens up on commitment to Maryland men’s basketball]

The announcement came after narrowing his choices to a final five: Maryland, Penn State, Xavier, Indiana and Villanova.

The St. Paul VI Catholic student was named the VISAA Division I Player of the Year and his team won the 2022 VISAA Division 1 state championship.

All three 2023 Maryland commits so far have been from Maryland or Virginia — the product of early success in the local recruiting battle that coach Kevin Willard emphasized when he brought in assistant coaches Tony Skinn and David Cox, who are both from the area. Skinn specifically played a role in the recruitment of Harris-Smith, according to 247Sports.

[Maryland men’s basketball earns commitment of four-star wing Jamie Kaiser]

Kaiser told The Diamondback he was active in recruiting Harris-Smith to Maryland.

“I’m trying to talk to him as much as possible,” Kaiser said. “There’s a point where I was talking to him every day.”

For Harris-Smith, his focus on improvement on and off the floor has helped him develop into one of the most highly-touted recruits in the area, he told Rivals.

“I can, and will, do anything my coach needs to win,” Harris-Smith said. “I play defense, I rebound, I can score the ball a little bit. But I am going to make sure my teammates are involved. I am also trying to be a good leader, too.”

Harris-Smith said on the livestream that the opportunity to play right away was a key selling point in his decision.

“I don’t feel like [Willard] was telling me some fake story,” Harris-Smith said. “I believe that he actually believes in me.”