Former Maryland men’s lacrosse offensive coordinator Bobby Benson was named head coach at Providence Wednesday, according to a news release from the Friars.

Benson spent two seasons with the Terps, initially named as an interim assistant coach for the 2021 season before becoming offensive coordinator after its conclusion. He helped lead a high-powered Maryland attack to two straight national championship game appearances and the program’s fourth NCAA title in 2022.

“I was super blessed to get called by coach Tillman to come back and get to spend the last two seasons at the University of Maryland,” Benson said at his introductory press conference. “I’ve been so fortunate in all my stops and I feel like this is definitely the next thing for me to do.”

[Undefeated season puts Maryland men’s lacrosse in rarified air of legendary lacrosse teams]

Under his guidance, the Terps produced back-to-back Tewaaraton Award winners in Jared Bernhardt and Logan Wisnauskas. Both attackers broke single-season and career points records for Maryland.

Benson’s offense produced at a historic rate this past season, breaking an NCAA record for assists in a single season with 204 in 18 games. The Terps also ranked second in NCAA history for points in a single season with 522 and third for goals scored with 318.

Maryland held a 33-1 record while Benson was on staff. He’ll step into his first collegiate head coaching role with the Friars.

[Maryland men’s lacrosse attacker Logan Wisnauskas takes home 2022 Tewaaraton Award]

“Bobby Benson was a great selection for Providence. We knew sitting across from the table that he truly wanted to be a Friar,” incoming athletic director Steven Napolillo said. “This is where he wanted to be with his family, this is where he wanted to make an impact on many student athletes and we truly believe that he’s going to win many Big East and national championships here.”

Benson spent 14 years as an offensive coordinator at Johns Hopkins before joining Maryland, claiming a national championship in 2007. He also briefly coached at UMBC and Loyola after playing for the Blue Jays.

The offensive coordinator’s departure leaves a gap in coach John Tillman’s staff ahead of the Terps’ 2023 season.