Maryland women’s lacrosse’s Lizzie Colson, Grace Griffin and Hannah Leubecker have been named IWLCA All-Americans, the organization announced Tuesday. Colson, a Tewaaraton Award finalist, made the first team while Griffin and Leubecker were selected in the third team.

These honors come as little surprise after all three made the All-Big Ten and IWLCA All-Region first teams for their strong performances for the Terps throughout the season. 

[Maryland women’s lacrosse falls to Duke in the second round of NCAA tournament, 13-12]

Colson was the star of Maryland’s 2021 season — returning from an ACL injury that kept her sidelined for 637 day — not just leading the Terps, but the entire country, in caused turnovers. She was a force across the field, leading the team with 59 ground balls, and was named unanimous Big Ten Defender of the Year.

As the sole defender finalist for the Tewaaraton Award, Colson can lay claim to the title of the best defender in the country and her play backed that up. In her final season as a Terp, Colson also dominated the draw circle, leading the team with 80 controls. 

Griffin, a second-year captain, was — as coach Cathy Reese said throughout the season — one of the best two-way midfielders in the country. Her 48 points and 19 caused turnovers for the year tied for second on the team in each category. 

She announced in April she would take advantage of an extra year of eligibility granted by the NCAA and return to play for Maryland for one more season. After graduating a large class, this figures to be Griffin’s team going forward.

Leubecker burst on the scene in her first season as a starter. She showed out as one of the most lethal shooters in the nation, amassing 35 goals in just her first eight games. For Leubecker’s dominant early play she earned a spot on the Tewaaraton Watch List and garnered Inside Lacrosse National Player of the Week honors in March. 

As a sophomore, she has put the league on notice finishing with 58 goals. The Forest Hill native looks to be the key to the Terps’ attack over the next few seasons as she climbs the ranks of lacrosse at Maryland.