Maryland football’s Chance Campbell is entering the transfer portal, the linebacker announced Monday afternoon on Twitter, dealing the program its most significant loss this offseason.

Following a breakout 2019 season, Campbell captained the defense in the 2020 campaign shortened by the pandemic. He led the Terps and ranked third in the Big Ten with 10.5 tackles per game, receiving an All-Big Ten honorable mention.

His presence in the front seven was most felt in the season’s first two games. Maryland’s defense largely struggled in those contests — allowing at least 43 points to Northwestern and Minnesota — but Campbell recorded double-digit tackles and provided an imposing figure to opposing offenses.

He later recorded his first collegiate defensive score with a fumble return for a touchdown against Penn State. Campbell missed the season’s final game against Rutgers for medical reasons.

[Maryland football hires Dan Enos as next offensive coordinator]

Campbell is the second starting linebacker to depart College Park this offseason. In December, Ayinde Eley announced he would be joining Georgia Tech as a graduate transfer. Campbell is also graduating early and will be immediately eligible at his next destination.

While the Terps will miss the Towson native’s consistency and production, coach Mike Locksley has several replacements ready to go.

Sophomores Fa’Najae Gotay and Ahmad McCullough and freshman Ruben Hyppolite will return after each had a strong end to the seasons. And the recruiting trail is bringing more talent to College Park.

Five-star linebacker Terrence Lewis announced his commitment to the Terps in early January and is expected to compete for a starting role. Two other top 150 prospects — Demeioun Robinson and Branden Jennings — are joining Lewis and are also expected to challenge for significant playing time.