After two season-opening mercy-rule losses Thursday on the road at the Texas Classic, Maryland softball showed promise in the first four innings against Colorado State on Friday, only to lose their momentum in the fifth inning.

Maryland ultimately lost to the Rams, 5-1. The Terps looked strong after four innings, with each team scoring only one run apiece.

[Read more: Maryland softball fails to score in season-opening losses to Wichita State, No. 6 Texas]

Colorado State got on base quickly in the first inning with infielder Corina Gamboa getting to third on a throwing error from pitcher Courtney Wyche. The Rams couldn’t bring Gamboa home, though, as infielder Ashley Ruiz grounded out to keep the score at 0-0.

In the second inning, infielder Taylor Liguori batted in shortstop Regan Kerr for the Terps’ first run of the season.

The third inning was a scoreless affair for both teams. Terps outfielder Campbell Kline reached first on a fielding error by Ruiz, but she was later thrown out by catcher Neely Peterson when trying to steal second.

The Terps held the Rams off until the fourth inning when designated hitter Danielle Serna singled to the left side, batting Gamboa in to even the score at one.

[Read more: For Maryland softball, Mark Montgomery feels high effort is the first step toward winning]

The Terps lost their footing in the fifth inning, allowing four runs before registering two outs. Outfielder Jordan Acosta doubled down the right-field line and was brought home on a triple by outfielder Ashley Michelena. Wyche intentionally walked Donaldson and was then replaced by Kiana Carr.

But Carr was unable to get out of the jam. Donaldson stole second, and Gamboa followed with a double to right-center to drive in Michelena and Donaldson. The sloppy pitching continued, with Ruiz reaching on a walk and Gamboa advancing to third on a wild pitch.

Freshman Trinity Schlotterbeck took over in the circle before walking outfielder Tara Shadowen, loading the bases. Another walk from Schlotterbeck added to the Rams’ lead, making the score 5-1 with only one out. Maryland would finally stymie the Colorado State offense, generating a strikeout from Polenz and throwing out Shadowen at third after a hit from Peterson.

The sixth and seventh innings were scoreless for both teams. The Rams were unable to add to their lead, going three up, three down in the sixth frame. In the seventh inning, Liguori singled but did not advance after a groundout by Kerr and strikeouts from Kline and Abbatine.

While Maryland drops to 0-3 to start its season, the momentum from the first four innings tonight will benefit coach Mark Montgomery’s team in its game against Lamar on Saturday.