Sydney Lewis stepped to the plate with runners on first and second base in the top of the first inning looking to give Maryland softball an early lead. With just one out, Lewis drove through the pitch and rocketed a double into the right-center field gap.

It scored Diamond Williams and Jaeda McFarland, putting two on the board for the Terps and giving them a lead that continued to grow.

Maryland beat Green Bay by mercy rule Friday. Saturday’s win came just as easy. With an explosive offensive start, the Terps pulled out a 9-1 win for their second victory of the weekend.

Maryland’s 8-0 victory Friday was highlighted by pitcher Bri Godfrey, who pitched five scoreless innings and gave up just two hits. Leadoff hitter Megan Mikami went 1-for-3 and drove in two runs. Williams, who’s started in every game this season, went 2-for-3, including her fourth home run of the season. The top of the lineup exploded for four runs in the fifth inning to double the advantage.

[Maryland softball’s dismal offense led to a poor weekend]

After being held without a run Friday, Green Bay grabbed its first score against Maryland on the weekend in the first inning Saturday. The Terps started sophomore Genevieve Ebaugh, who notched seven strikeouts and allowed just three hits over seven innings. Ebaugh also extended her own lead at the plate with a sacrifice fly to extend the Terps’ lead to 3-1.

Lewis, who brought in the game’s first two runs, stepped to the plate for her second at-bat with bases loaded. She reached safely on a fielder’s choice that scored Mikami in the second inning to put Maryland ahead 4-1.

The Terps grew their lead in the fourth inning. Williams’ first hit of the game, a single to right field, brought in Mikami. Maryland found two more hits in the frame but left a pair on base.

[Maryland softball splits doubleheader with win over Southeast Missouri, loss to Syracuse]

Mikami’s double put the Terps in a scoring position to open the sixth inning. A triple by McFarland in the next at-bat brought Mikami home, then a single by Williams scored McFarland and pushed Maryland further ahead, 7-1.

Williams reached home soon after on a single from Lewis, who was thrown out trying to reach second but not before she could tally her third RBI of the game. Lewis finished the win with two hits and a double.

Maryland’s contest against LIU to open Saturday was not as successful as the second game. The Terps struggled to get on base, and the Dolphins jumped on Madison Runyan early to find a lead they never relinquished.