Despite a change-filled offseason, senior outfielder Megan Mikami maintained high expectations for Maryland softball.

“Ten returners and 10 new players can be a big adjustment, especially with a completely new coaching staff,” Mikami said. “But the way that we all work together … I don’t see any reason why we can’t be in the championship for the Big Ten tournament or a regional.”

But the lack of continuity has shown through the first 10 games, especially last weekend. After winning its first game of the Lion Classic on Friday, Maryland dropped four straight — two to Syracuse and one each to Southeastern Louisiana and Southeast Missouri.

The Terps scored nine runs on Friday but sputtered on offense for the rest of the weekend. They managed only three hits in a 4-1 loss to Southeastern Louisiana and failed to score more than four runs in a game Saturday or Sunday.

Through two weekends, Maryland ranks 13th in the Big Ten in batting average and bottom four in slugging percentage.

“We’re just, right now, allowing the results to dictate our emotions,” coach Lauren Karn said. “As we’re losing more games, we’re not as excited to get out there.”

[Maryland softball splits doubleheader with win over Southeast Missouri, loss to Syracuse]

Four of the 10 players who have logged double-digit at-bats are in their first seasons with the program. Two newcomers lead the Terps in multiple offensive categories — Coastal Carolina transfer Diamond Williams and freshman Delaney Reefe.

Williams has hit third in the order in every game to start the season. She clubbed two home runs and tallied six hits at the Lion Classic. Reefe and Williams are tied with a team-best eight RBIs. The pair leads Maryland in batting average, hits and slugging percentage.

But the Terps’ returning hitters have not seen the same success. No other player boasts a batting average above .260 or an OPS greater than .800.

Maryland lost Amelia Lech to the transfer portal. She leads Auburn with a .357 batting average, four home runs and nine RBIs.

“We’re still trying to find our footing there, figure out exactly what lineup combination is going to be best for us as far as manufacturing runs,” Karn said. “Right now where we are, as far as our approach, it’s not where it needs to be to consistently maintain a high-functioning offense.”

[Maryland softball needs a jolt. Lauren Karn might be it.]

A season ago, Maryland won nine of its first 10 games, highlighted by ranked wins over then-No. 3 Oklahoma State and then-No. 22 Oregon. This year has been different.

The Terps have stumbled through the early stages of Karn’s tenure, hold a 3-7 record and have failed to show the consistent effort and approach their coach demands.

“We’re just not attacking the moments that we should be attacking with enthusiasm,” Karn said. “We have a bad at-bat and that carries into our defensive play, or [if] we have a bad defensive play it’s carrying into our next at-bat.”

Maryland’s schedule will only get tougher. It has faced just one ranked opponent this year but will soon take on juggernauts: No. 6 Washington, No. 8 Florida State and No. 19 Oregon.

In the interim, the Terps will play five games this upcoming weekend against Stetson, Green Bay and Long Island — three teams that finished outside the top 100 in RPI a year ago — looking to rack up a few wins.

It’s early, but if they can’t, their chances of breaking a 12-year NCAA tournament drought will rapidly dwindle.