The highest-ranked commit in Maryland football’s 2024 class officially shut down his recruitment last week, reaffirming his loyalty to the Terps.

“It’s just got to a point where it was very stressful and overwhelming,” safety Brandon Jacob told InsideMDSports. “I trust the plan that Maryland has for me so I’m sticking with it and letting it be known.”

Jacob committed to Maryland in July, but a number of schools — namely Penn State and Missouri — have reached out since in an attempt to flip the four-star recruit, according to 247Sports.

Those rumors can now be safely put to bed.

The Florida native is ranked as the No. 23 safety in the nation on 247Sports’ composite board. As a junior in 2022, he recorded 69 tackles, 10 pass breakups, five interceptions and two forced fumbles.

He could have the opportunity to contribute early on in a safety room headed by two upperclassmen in Dante Trader Jr. and Beau Brade.

[Maryland needs Shyanne Sellers to be a star — her summer with USA basketball helped]

Visits

Maryland men’s basketball hosted a major visitor over the weekend in five-star center Derik Queen.

Coach Kevin Willard and staff pulled out all the stops for the priority target, including hosting him for dinner at Ruth’s Chris Steak House with “DQ, It’s Time To Come Home!!!” written at the top of the menu. Freshman guard Jahnathan Lamothe, Queen’s former teammate at St. Frances Academy in Baltimore, was also at the dinner and shared this picture on his Instagram story.

The three reported finalists traveled to Queen’s high school, Montverde Academy in Florida, this week to make their final pitches. Indiana coach Mike Woodson made the trip on Tuesday, while Houston and a large contingent of the Maryland staff traveled on Wednesday, according to multiple reports.

Queen is the No. 3 center and the No. 17 prospect in the class of 2024, according to 247Sports’ composite rankings.

[Maryland football assistant coach Kevin Sumlin arrested on DUI charge]

Announcements

Four-star defensive back Jamari Howard announced his top five schools Monday — a list that included Maryland.

The senior attends the same school and plays the same position as Terps commit Larry Tarver Jr. at Miami Norland Senior High School in Miami. Although On3’s recruiting tracker gives Florida State a 95.9 percent chance of landing Howard, it seems Tarver’s connection to the No. 11 cornerback in the 2024 class at least has Maryland in his consideration.

Other news

Rodney Rice, a former four-star recruit from DeMatha Catholic High School, is stepping away from Virginia Tech after one year with the program, coach Mike Young said in a statement.

Rice — who listed Maryland as one of his top six schools back in 2021 — has various connections to the Terps. Current Terps assistant Mike Jones was Rice’s coach at DeMatha for three seasons. Jones then left to become associate head coach at Virginia Tech, where he was Rice’s primary recruiter and a key factor in earning his commitment.

Jones left Virginia Tech this past spring to join the Terps’ staff.