Former Virginia Tech associate head coach and DeMatha High School head coach Mike Jones will join Maryland men’s basketball’s staff as an assistant coach, a source close to the program confirmed to The Diamondback Monday. ESPN first reported the news.

Jones joins the Terps after the departure of Tony Skinn, who left the program after just one year to become head coach at George Mason. The loss of Skinn’s deep local ties left a large hole to be filled on the recruiting trail, but coach Kevin Willard seems to address that need with Jones’ hire.

The Largo native coached at DeMatha for 19 years and held a record of 511-119. He won a national title with the Stags in 2006 and won nine WCAC regular season titles, eight WCAC Tournament crowns and four Maryland Private School tournament championships.

[Kevin Willard returned Maryland men’s basketball to prominence in inaugural season]

Jones coached guard Jahmir Young and former Michigan center Hunter Dickinson, who recently entered the transfer portal, in high school.

Jones spent two years as an associate head coach at Virginia Tech and served in a variety of youth coaching roles with USA Basketball. He was named a co-recipient of the USA Basketball Developmental coach of the year award in 2019.

Jones played at the high school level for DeMatha, at the college level for Old Dominion and professionally in China, Portugal, Hong Kong, Finland and the Dominican Republic.