Maryland football co-offensive coordinator Kevin Sumlin was arrested and charged with driving under the influence early Saturday morning in Florida, according to a Hillsborough County police report.

Sumlin is not with the team this week and will face disciplinary action, coach Michael Locksley said Tuesday. Locksley declined to answer if Sumlin will return to the team this season or specify the severity of discipline.

“It’s a personnel decision we have,” Locksley said. “We’ve handled these situations athletically in the past and I think that we’ll follow those same steps … It’ll be handled.”

Sumlin refused a breathalyzer test, which results in a license suspension for at least one year, according to the report. He pleaded not guilty and waived arraignment. The charge carries a maximum sentence of six months in prison.

The incident took place during Maryland’s bye week. Sumlin’s listed attorney declined to comment.

Sumlin was arrested around 1 a.m. Saturday on U.S. Highway 301 in Tampa, Florida. There was no crash or damage to property.

Maryland hired Sumlin as co-offensive coordinator in February. He joined the Terps following head coaching stints at Arizona from 2018 to 2020 and Texas A&M from 2012 to 2017.

This story has been updated.