Maryland softball had loaded the bases in the third inning due to sloppy Oklahoma State defense and hard base running. Two errors set up sophomore Amelia Lech with the bases loaded.

Lech drove a ball to deep right center on the tenth pitch of the at-bat, clearing the bases for Maryland’s first home run of the season, and giving them the lead.

Lech’s home run propelled Maryland to a 11-6 victory over No. 3 Oklahoma State on Sunday, giving the Terps their first victory over a top-three opponent since 2017.

After starting off 2-0 in Mexico, Maryland fell to California Baptist on Saturday, 2-1. However, the Terps would have no time to think about that loss, as they returned to action on Sunday to take on No. 3 Oklahoma State and North Dakota State.

Oklahoma State started the tournament off undefeated — they took down No. 22 Oregon and North Carolina. This year’s No. 3 team in the country heading into Sunday’s game was dominant last season as well, finishing the year with a 48-12 record.

[Maryland softball suffers first loss of season at the hands of Cal Baptist, 2-1]

Senior Courtney Wyche returned to the circle for Maryland, but the Oklahoma State offense tested the ace early. Oklahoma State jumped on her in the first inning, scoring a run to open the game.

Maryland responded in the second inning though, as sophomore Kamryn Davis scored on a passed ball to tie the game at one apiece.

Freshman Tallen Edwards would help regain Oklahoma State’s lead in the bottom of the second inning, driving home another run on a RBI single, making it 2-1. Once again though, the Terps answered. Two Oklahoma State errors would set up a bases loaded situation for Maryland, and they would capitalize. 

Lech smashed the ball to left center, clearing the fence and the bases for a grand slam. The massive home run would make it 6-2 Terps. It was the sophomore’s first home run of her career, and it could not have come at a better time for Maryland, electrifying the Terps’ bench.

Edwards and Oklahoma State wouldn’t be put away easily. The star freshman drove in two runs, giving her three RBIs on the day, and drawing her team within two runs.

Maryland’s offense had been great all weekend and that continued on Sunday. Senior Mackense Greico drove in two more runs, putting Maryland back up 8-4.

[Maryland softball breezes past BYU in five innings, 10-2]

Junior Michaela Jones brought in Greico on a single, stretching the lead to 9-4. 

The Terps’ offense continued to string together momentum swinging innings on the offensive side. Piecing together multiple singles, walks, and big RBIs were consistent generations of big innings.

An offensive slugfest continued as senior Morgan Wynne clobbered a ball over the fence for a two-run homer, closing the hall to 9-6.

However, Maryland managed to preserve the victory, in part due to two insurance RBIs from Greico, defeating Oklahoma State 11-6.

Greico finished the game 2-3, with four RBIs and a triple. The senior continued her strong play in Mexico on Sunday and is proving to be a paramount part of this strong Maryland offense.

All in all, 11 runs is tied for the most Oklahoma State has surrendered in over three seasons, with only perennial contenders Oklahoma and Arkansas matching that total.