Maryland field hockey coach Missy Meharg signed a four-year contract extension that keeps her in College Park through the 2026 season, according to a team spokesperson.

“Extending my contract through the fall of 2026 exudes excitement and confidence in me, my staff and the amazing Terp women,” Meharg said in a news release Wednesday. “I am grateful. I am honored and thrilled to get started. There’s simply no place like Maryland.”

Meharg, 59, enters her 35th season as the Terps’ head coach. Her 605 career wins stand above any other Maryland coach across sports, per the release. Since being hired in 1988, she’s led the program to seven national championships, 19 Final Four appearances and 26 conference titles between the ACC and the Big Ten.

[Maryland field hockey releases 2022 schedule]

“Missy has set the standard of excellence for everyone here at Maryland,” athletic director Damon Evans said in the release. “Missy is a forward-thinker and continues to bring outstanding women to College Park. We are so grateful for her 35 years here at Maryland and we look forward to her many successes to come.”

Meharg’s teams dominated the late 2000s. The Terps won five championships over a seven-year stretch from 2005 to 2011.

The nine-time coach of the year has only missed the NCAA postseason four times. She eclipsed the 600-win mark last October, becoming just the third Division I coach to do so, per the release.

Meharg’s coached six National Player of the Year winners, 56 All-Americans and 19 Conference Player of the Year winners, according to the release.

[After missing NCAA tournament last year, Maryland field hockey reached the Final Four]

Meharg came to Maryland in 1985 as an assistant under then-coach Sue Tyler before becoming head coach in 1988. She’s a member of the National Field Hockey Coaches Association Hall of Fame, the University of Maryland Athletic Hall of Fame and the DC Sports Hall of Fame.

After Maryland moved to the Big Ten in 2014, Meharg led the charge to elevate the sport’s presence in the conference. Meharg and other coaches created the Big Ten/ACC Cup, an early-season tournament that features matchups between the best each conference has to offer.

The Big Ten’s level of competition now matches the ACC and other top conferences. A Big Ten school has either won or played in four of the last five championship games and six of the top seven teams in the final coaches poll of the 2021 season came from the Big Ten.