NFL free agency began in mid-march and there has been a lot of movement since. Players have been moving around the league and getting paid, including several Maryland football alumni. With many players signed, it is time to check where former Terps are headed this offseason.

Traded:

Yannick Ngakoue, DE – The Raiders traded Ngakoue to Indianapolis for cornerback Rock Ya-Sin. The journeyman defensive end will now help the Colts pressure the young QBs in the AFC South. Formerly an integral piece to the 2017 “Sacksonville” defense, Ngakoue still produces, registering 10 sacks on 36 pressures in 2021, but is now playing on his fourth team in three seasons. Ngakoue is entering the final year of his two-year, $26 million contract.

Contract extensions:

Stefon Diggs, WR –  The superstar Wideout is staying in Buffalo for a long time. Diggs and the Bills agreed on a four-year, $96 million contract extension. With two years still remaining on his original contract, Diggs will be in Buffalo until 2027. Having established a clear rapport with quarterback Josh Allen since being traded from Minnesota, the Bills locked up the former Terp for the long haul.

DJ Moore, WR – The Panthers and Moore agreed on a three-year, $61 million contract extension to keep him in Carolina until 2025. The star wideout is the epitome of consistency with 1100+ yards and four touchdowns in each of the past three seasons. The Panthers quarterback situation is in question coming into the 2022 season, but regardless of who is under center, they will have a proven, reliable target in DJ Moore. 

New contract, new team:

JC Jackson, CB – “Mr. INT” is headed to SoCal. The Los Angeles Chargers signed Jackson to a five-year, $82.5 million deal to bolster their secondary. Jackson has recorded 25 interceptions in only four seasons. Such play-making ability is essential in the modern NFL, especially in a division with experienced QBs like Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson and Derek Carr, and Jackson should be a difference maker from day one for the Chargers.

Quinton Jefferson, DT – Following a season where he recorded 17 solo tackles, 25 pressures and a career-high 4.5 sacks for the Raiders, Jefferson earned a two-year, $9.5 million contract from the Seattle Seahawks. Jefferson, who played for Seattle in 2016 and from 2017-2019, brings solid interior pressure that teams covet on defense.

Jermaine Carter Jr., LB – In his fourth and final season of his rookie contract with the Carolina Panthers, Carter became a full-time starter. As a result, he played well enough to garner a one-year, $1.77 million deal with the Kansas City Chiefs. 

New contract, same team:

Josh Woods, LB – Making appearances in 13 of 17 games, Woods was re-signed by Detroit for contributing on special teams and depth. The Lions and Woods agreed on a one-year, $1.55 million contract.

Trey Edmunds, RB – The Steelers signed Trey Edmunds to a reserve/future deal this offseason. Edmunds has been with Pittsburgh since 2018, albeit mostly been on the practice squad. His 22 carries for 92 yards as a Steeler all came in the 2019 season.

Derwin Gray, OL – The Titans claimed Derwin Gray off waivers ahead of the 2021 season and he remained on the practice squad for the entirety of the season. Tennessee signed Gray to a reserve/future deal this offseason and is expected to compete for a roster spot in training camp.

Michael Dunn, OL – Dunn is an exclusive rights free agent, meaning he could only negotiate with other teams if his previous team, the Browns, did not tender him. Cleveland offered Dunn a one-year deal at league minimum pay, keeping him a Brown for now. 

Still under contract:

Keandre Jones, LB, Cincinnati Bengals

Darnell Savage, S, Green Bay Packers

Antoine Brooks Jr., LB, Los Angeles Rams

Jake Funk, RB, Los Angeles Rams

Byron Cowart, DT, New England Patriots

Ty Johnson, RB, New York Jets

Anthony McFarland Jr., RB, Pittsburgh Steelers

Tyler Mabry, TE, Seattle Seahawks