Even the middle of January is recruiting season for Maryland women’s basketball. 

Lavender Briggs, a junior from Florida, will transfer and join coach Brenda Frese’s squad, a team spokesperson confirmed.

The 6-foot-1 guard averaged 12.5 points and 5.6 rebounds in the 14 games she played for the Gators this season and averaged 19.5 points and 6.5 rebounds in 18 games last year. 

She garnered All-SEC Second Team honors as a sophomore and made the SEC All-Freshman Team in 2020.

[No. 8 Maryland women’s basketball shut down by No. 11 Michigan, 69-49]

Injuries bothered her in both seasons, as Briggs missed the last eight games of her sophomore year due to a left foot injury and struggled this season before announcing in a Jan. 6 Instagram post that she’d miss the rest of her junior year with a stress fracture in her left shin.

Briggs was the No. 48 overall prospect in ESPN’s 2019 rankings out of Provo High School in Utah. 

No. 12 Maryland is 12-5 so far this season with a 4-2 conference record but will have to replace at least two starters after this year in Katie Benzan and Chloe Bibby, who it’ll lose to graduation. 

Briggs joins two other players who will be new Terps at the beginning of next season, freshmen guard Ava Sciolla and forward Mila Reynolds, who submitted letters of intent to Maryland in November.