The University of Maryland will require mask-wearing indoors, regardless of vaccination status, effective Sunday at 5 p.m., according to a campuswide email from university President Darryll Pines and health center director Dr. Spyridon Marinopoulos.

The requirement comes after Prince George’s County Executive Angela Alsobrooks announced the reinstatement of its mask mandate, which is also effective August 8 at 5 p.m

Per the university’s new policy, masks may be removed if an individual is inside an office space, room, study area or laboratory alone, in residence halls, suites or apartments with roommates and momentarily while eating or drinking. Social distancing of six feet is required for unvaccinated people, according to the email.

[Prince George’s County to reinstate indoor mask mandate]

Masks will continue to be required for all members of the campus community on public transportation, while participating in activities involving K-12 students and while obtaining healthcare services.

COVID-19 vaccinations are still required for all students, faculty and staff returning to campus this fall. Individuals can request an exemption for medical or religious reasons via the university’s online portal.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention identified Prince George’s County as an area with “substantial” transmission earlier this week. 

“We recognize that masking in the workplace and classrooms may be inconvenient, but we believe this is a necessary and prudent step to prioritizing health and safety for our entire campus community,” the email read