Para leer este artículo en español, haga clic aquí.

Prince George’s County has been updated as an area with “substantial” transmission of COVID-19 on Monday, according to the CDC COVID Data Tracker. This means there are at least 50 coronavirus cases per 100,000 people. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends residents of areas with substantial and high transmission wear masks indoors, regardless of vaccination status.

The University of Maryland announced in a Friday email that there would be no changes to its masking requirements. At that time, the county was considered a moderate transmission area. 

There were 380 new cases in Prince George’s County between July 18 and July 24 — a 54.5 percent change from 246 cases the previous week.

The email also said the university would adjust its policies according to data on the campus and in the county. Although no changes have been made at this time, the university is in constant contact with the Prince George’s County Health Department and is seeking its guidance on next steps, according to a university spokesperson.

The delta variant, a more transmissible strain of the virus, is responsible for almost half of Maryland’s new cases, according to CBS Baltimore. The state reached a positivity rate of 3.23 percent with more than 400 new coronavirus cases on Monday.