Para leer este declaración en español, haga clic aquí.

In October, The Diamondback embarked on a journey that changed the way we looked at our coverage. DBK en Español was born out of the recognition that our community deserves timely and accurate Spanish-language journalism. 

The University of Maryland and surrounding cities such as Langley Park, Riverdale and Adelphi are home to vibrant, dynamic Spanish-speaking communities. In our quest to improve accessibility and diversity, we are launching a robust Spanish section to uplift the voices of residents and community members while also amplifying important, complex issues. 

Though we have dedicated more time and attention to translate breaking news stories, features and other content into Spanish, we want to expand the section’s efforts to also encompass original Spanish reporting.  

La Voz Unida, a bilingual student-run publication, will join The Diamondback to strengthen DBK en Español, which will provide local coverage in Spanish. Through this endeavor, we will focus on telling stories from underrepresented communities in College Park and Prince George’s County in both English and Spanish.

Moving forward, we plan to continue to build DBK en Español as its own desk and hire a diverse staff devoted to Spanish reporting and editing. Since the inception of DBK en Español, we have hired two copy editors who fact-check and edit English and Spanish content. We have also appointed Amanda Hernández, an assistant news editor,  as the DBK en Español editor. As the editor, she will oversee translations and original Spanish content.

As we continue to build DBK en Español’s team of reporters and editors, we also plan to deliver stories that explore intersectionality and to devote time to stories we have neglected to tell. DBK en Español will also provide a platform for sports, opinions and diversions. 

We are currently hiring reporters and other staff members to contribute to our DBK en Español content. We are also seeking freelance translators. For more information, email us at dbkenespanol@gmail.com.

If there’s anything we should be covering, leave us a tip here.