Attackman Daniel Maltz waited on the near-side of the crease while midfielder Kyle Long surveyed his options 18 yards out from the net. Long wasted no time getting the ball to Maltz, who dove and scored to secure his fifth hat trick of the season. 

Maltz’s third goal ignited a 6-0 run for Maryland men’s lacrosse to begin the fourth quarter, which put the game out of reach for Ohio State. The streak was the second of its kind for the Terps on Saturday, making up 12 of their 16 goals of the game. 

Both scoring streaks were too much for the Buckeyes to handle, and Maryland left Columbus, Ohio, with a 16-8 victory, its third win by eight or more goals this season. 

Goals were hard to come by for both teams early on. Midfielder Logan Wisnauskas got Maryland on the board first with a goal at the 7:40 mark in the first. The goal kicked off another stellar outing for the senior, as he finished with seven points. 

[Second half scoring explosion propels Maryland men’s lacrosse past Rutgers, 19-12]

Wisnauskas assisted on the Terps’ second goal that put them back up by one, a lead they never surrendered. The goal sparked the first 6-0 Maryland run, in which six different Terps found the back of the net. 

In a repeat of last week’s buzzer beating-goal at the end of the first half against Rutgers, Maltz took a pass from Wisnauskas and dumped it in with 10 seconds left on the clock, and coach John Tillman’s squad took a 8-3 lead into halftime. 

The Buckeyes’ star attackman Jack Myers came out hot in the second half, notching two of their three straight goals in the third quarter. Ohio State drew within two goals, until long pole defenseman John Geppert got an opportunity to net his first goal of the season off of a face-off. 

The Geppert goal made it a three-score game once again, and Maryland’s second six goal streak followed not long after. Wisnauskas and Jared Bernhardt came alive during the run, both tallying goals alongside contributions from Maltz and Eric Malever.

It was all the Terps would need to pull away from an Ohio State squad that had kept the game close through three quarters. Though it wasn’t their most efficient showing — and Alec Van de Bovenkamp kept the Buckeyes in it with 14 saves — the Terps asserted their quality as the game wore on. 

And in doing so, Maryland picked up another hotly contested Big Ten win, looking like a team that can win even when it doesn’t deliver its best performance.

[Maryland men’s lacrosse looks to flex its defensive strength against Rutgers]