Every time I work out, I make sure to play “Beef FloMix” at least once per session. Flo Milli’s cadence is like no other, and her confident, mean-girl energy is just what rap needs right now. Flo Milli is a bad bitch, and her music exudes the same vibes. As soon as I hear her shout her drop tag (“Flo Milli shit!”), I know I’m in for an experience I won’t regret.

At the age of 20, she’s already amassed a cult following and made a place for herself in the new era of rap music. She’s self-assured yet humble and possesses a huge amount of talent, which shows in her debut mixtape. Coming in at a short 30 minutes with 12 tracks, Flo Milli’s mixtape Ho, why is you here? is an energetic collection of songs that show her versatility. On “In The Party” and “Like That Bitch,” she experiments with switching flows, and on “Pussycat Doll” she tries out a calmer sound.

Very few tracks on this album shine like “Pussycat Doll.” Flo Milli gives a more chill delivery here. “He love my aura, when he with you he be bored (He love me)/ If he call, I press ignore/ I’m overseas in Bora Bora” has to be one of my favorite bars from the whole tape. Rhyming “aura” with “Bora Bora” is such a power move. Her cadence is still strong but not try-hard and is a nice switch-up from her usual sound. “Pussycat Doll” is a great example of having minimal production but still giving a performance, which is what seems like “Pockets Bigger,” my least favorite track, was trying to do.

[Q&A: UMD band Unity for the Outcasts on manifesting their musical goals]

The beat on “Pockets Bigger” feels lazy, and the quieter delivery of Flo Milli’s voice during the pre-chorus is annoying at best. This song is weak, which is shocking because an overwhelming majority of this mixtape is simply pure heat. While the song comes in at under two minutes, it feels like it lasts forever.

Flo Milli shines when she does what she’s known for — rapping about her endless confidence and bags of money. The flow on “Send The Addy” reminds me of the single “Beef FloMix” that was widely popular on TikTok, with lines like “Put it on him, now he callin’ me wifey (Ooh)/ He tryna cuff but it’s hard to indict me” and “Better watch where you steppin’, this Gucci is pricey (Hello)/ Like a snake on the loose, they gon’ bite me.” She raps so effortlessly, which only adds to the track. This is definitely a song you play in the car on the way to a party or concert to hype everyone up before the main event.

“19” follows right after, and is definitely my favorite on the entire mixtape. The plucky intro immediately draws the listener in because it’s isolated, and then the beat drops right when Flo Milli starts spitting. After hearing this track, I feel like I can do anything I dream of as long as I work hard and believe in myself.

[I still love One Direction, 10 years later]

The mixtape takes a sharp turn with the final track “Scuse Me,” which is kind of a bore. It feels too repetitive and is a bland way to end her debut project. The production leaves a lot to be desired with its looping flute and the low quacking noise in the background. “Scuse Me” is simultaneously annoying and boring, and is too tame for her style of rap.

Ho, why is you here? is a strong debut for Flo Milli and a great piece of work for such a young artist. While there are a few songs I don’t enjoy, overall she balanced her in-your-face attitude with nonchalance quite well, and showed that she’s more than just a TikTok one-hit wonder. This tape lays a great foundation for her future work, which I can’t wait to listen to. Until then, I’ll be blasting “19” and “Pussycat Doll” endlessly.