After Maryland men’s basketball beat then-No. 18 Iowa last Thursday and was the beneficiary of a bevy of losses from higher-ranked teams, the Terps jolted up six spots to No. 9 in the latest AP top 25 poll released Monday.

Seven teams in the top 14 lost last week, including every team ranked between Nos. 10 and 14.

Florida State, Villanova, Seton Hall, Oregon, West Virginia, Kentucky and Michigan State all suffered setbacks — and the wild week didn’t stop there, either. Seven teams behind the then-No. 15 Terps also lost.

[Read more: Anthony Cowan pours in career-high 31 points as Maryland basketball tops Iowa, 82-72

Meanwhile, Maryland took care of business in its only game last week. In a ranked matchup with the Hawkeyes, senior guard Anthony Cowan carried the scoring load with a career-high 31 points to lead the Terps to an 82-72 victory.

With Maryland jumping ahead of Michigan State in the polls, the Terps are now the top-ranked team in the Big Ten. The Spartans slotted in at No.16, joined by No. 17 Iowa, No. 20 Illinois and No. 22 Penn State from the conference.

Ohio State, Rutgers — the Terps’ opponent at home Tuesday — and Michigan were among the teams that received votes.

Cowan’s performance Thursday was not only helpful in leading his team back into the top 10 of the rankings, it was also enough for him to garner Big Ten Player of the Week honors.

[Read more: In career night, Anthony Cowan played like the MVP the Xfinity Center crowd crowned him as]

Along with his scoring output, the Bowie native also posted six assists and six rebounds. He became the first Terp since Greivis Vasquez in 2010 to record at least 31 points, six rebounds and six assists.

This is the second time this season Cowan has received the weekly recognition; he also earned the title after guiding his team in the Orlando Invitational.

The recognition also marks the second consecutive week the Terps have received that weekly honor after the conference awarded forward Jalen Smith last week. The back-to-back Player of the Week honors is the first time Maryland has achieved that feat since joining the Big Ten in 2014.