While I despise winter, I think we can all agree that there is one highlight to the approaching season: style. Winter fashion opens the door for layers, textures and fabrics that simply do not work at any other time. Couple that with the changing trends from year to year, however, and the season can become a bit overwhelming. One easy way to style great looks is to start with one unique piece or “focal point,” then work around it. To help you out, here’s a list of great focal points to jumpstart your winter wardrobe.

Houndstooth Oversized Blazer

Houndstooth oversized blazers are a great place to start when styling outfits. These pieces scream sophistication and maturity, even if you just pulled an all-nighter and ate leftover Halloween candy for breakfast. Perfect for those presentation days in class or when you just want to look a little fancier, houndstooth oversized blazers can be styled with wide leg denim pants, platform combat boots or heeled booties, and your favorite turtleneck or graphic tee.

[Read more: Three podcasts you should listen to if you’re fashion-obsessed]

Shoulder-Padded Coats

As if we couldn’t go any farther down the vintage rabbit hole, shoulder pads are making quite the comeback this winter. Often found in thrift stores, shoulder-padded coats complement virtually any figure by broadening the shoulders and creating the illusion of a cinched waist. Paired with a fitted turtleneck, cigarette trousers and heeled booties, these coats can easily be incorporated into your winter wardrobe.

Leather

Not leather jackets — you’ve heard enough about those, haven’t you? I’m talking about leather everything: shirts, pants, boots, you name it. My favorite leather piece, pants, can be styled with a vibrantly colored, chunky oversized sweater and suede booties. The booties tie into the soft texture of the sweater and contrast with the shiny, harder texture of the pants.

[Read more: Halloween frees us from the anxieties of life]

Platform Combat Boots

Sometimes (read: all the time) we want to chill but still be stylish in our attire. Platform combat boots are my favorite way to do that because of the edginess, confidence and authority they carry. They can easily be styled up with a slip dress layered over a long sleeve shirt or styled down with a pair of ripped jeans and oversized sweater.

Puffer Jackets

I remember hating the fur-lined puffer coats my mom used to buy me as a child because I thought they were ugly. Thankfully, the puffer coats on the market today are much more chic. Available in a wide variety of colors, finishes and prints, puffer coats are easy focal points to use as a base for your outfit. Perfect for those school days when you have only little time to think of a look, you can throw on some cargo joggers, chunky sneakers and a fitted top.

With these simple focal points, there are a multitude of ways you can spice up your winter wardrobe. For more inspiration, explore YouTube and Pinterest to help kickstart your creativity. I dare you to do something unusual with your style this winter.