Maryland volleyball falters down the stretch in 3-2 loss to UT-Rio Grande Valley

Outside Hitter Erika Pritchard prepares for the serve during Maryland’s 3-1 loss to No. 3 Minnesota at Xfinity Center Pavilion on Nov. 16, 2018. (Joe Ryan/The Diamondback)

Holding a slim 12-11 lead in the fifth set against UT-Rio Grande Valley — just three points from victory — Maryland volleyball suddenly couldn’t get out of its own way.

Setter Samantha Snyder followed up a bad set with a ball-handling error, and outside hitter Erika Pritchard capped the miscue-filled run with an attack error.

Four days after escaping with a 3-2 win over Howard despite committing 16 service errors — more than in any of their games last season — the Terps this time were punished for untimely errors. Pin hitter Barbara Silva’s match-winning kill was the lone point produced by the Vaqueros in their final four tallies to end the contest.

So even as the Terps hit .257 with 9.5 blocks — both solid numbers — UT-Rio Grande Valley edged coach Adam Hughes’ squad in five sets (17-25, 25-18, 17-25, 25-22, 15-12).

[Read more: Maryland volleyball is embracing the grind of nonconference play]

A bump from libero Allegra Rivas, a set from Snyder and a powerful kill from Pritchard gave Maryland its first point of the Friday night match against UT-Rio Grande Valley (4-1). The Terps began the affair on an 11-4 run, which included kills from five different players, before going on to win the first set, 25-17.

Maryland (3-1) regressed a bit in the second set, eventually falling 25-18. The second set featured three service errors, a facet the team wanted to be better in after Monday’s five-set victory in College Park.

In the UTSA Classic opener, the Terps’ saw a balanced offensive effort. Middle blockers Rainelle Jones and Katie Myers each finished with eight kills, and both outside hitter Rebakah Rath and Pritchard notched double-digit put-aways.

[Read more: Maryland volleyball overcame an abundance of serving miscues against Howard]

Things tightened up in the fourth set as neither team led by more than four at any point. But despite leading 20-17 late in the frame, the Terps dropped the set 25-22, with the Vaqueros closing out on an 8-2 run.

Maryland also struggled to contain Silva, who posted a match-high 19 kills on a .341 hitting percentage. Outside hitter Sarah Cruz also recorded 16 kills and 11 digs, setting up a decisive fifth set that resulted in a UT-Rio Grande Valley win.

In a set with five lead changes, three miscues in a row turned the match away from the Terps for good, opening the UTSA Classic in disappointing fashion after winning their first three matches of the season.

Please support our journalism by donating to The Diamondback.

Recommended Articles