Former Iowa offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz is joining Maryland football’s staff as a senior offensive assistant, a team spokesperson confirmed.

Ferentz, the son of Hawkeyes head coach Kirk Ferentz, spent the past seven seasons as Iowa’s offensive coordinator. He also served as the Hawkeyes’ tight ends coach, offensive line coach and run game coordinator after coaching in the NFL with the New England Patriots between 2008-2011.

Iowa’s offense produced several impactful players under Ferentz.

Tight ends Sam LaPorta, T.J. Hockenson and Noah Fant, and offensive linemen Tyler Linderbaum, Tristan Wirfs, James Daniels and Brandon Scherff were all first or second round selections in the NFL Draft under the tutelage of Ferentz.

[Maryland football enters spring practice with five-man starting quarterback battle]

Last October, Iowa’s athletic director elected to not bring Ferentz back for the 2024 season. Ferentz coached the remainder of the season with the Hawkeyes.

Iowa’s offense struggled mightily the past two seasons under Ferentz. The Hawkeyes averaged just 15.4 points per game in 2023 and 17.7 points per game in 2022. Their points per game decreased each season since 2020.

Ferentz has spent time in the state, as his father was the Baltimore Ravens’ offensive line coach from 1996-1998.

Ferentz, 41, will assist head coach Michael Locksley, offensive coordinator Josh Gattis and associate head coach/co-offensive coordinator Kevin Sumlin for Maryland’s offense, a unit that will boast a new starting quarterback in 2024.