Former Michigan assistant DeAndre Haynes has joined coach Mark Turgeon’s staff, Maryland men’s basketball announced Monday. Haynes fills a void left by Kevin Broadus, who departed from College Park to become head coach at Morgan State in May.

The 35-year-old coached for the Wolverines for two seasons, helping set a program-record 33 wins in 2017-18 as he focused on the Wolverines’ backcourt and offensive game planning, en route to a national championship appearance. Last year, Michigan notched 30 wins again before being bumped in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament.

He joins a Terps squad retaining many of the pieces that led them to a second-round March Madness appearance, including guard Anthony Cowan and forward Jalen Smith.

“The staff and players welcomed me with open arms and I can’t wait to win a lot of games with these guys,” Haynes said in a release. “I have loved the game of basketball since I was seven years old and I don’t take for granted any day I get the opportunity to coach and mentor. I’m ready to hit the ground running and look forward to being in the gym and helping the team improve every day.”

[Read more: Anthony Cowan withdraws from NBA Draft, returns to Maryland basketball for senior season]

Haynes was instrumental in developing guards Zavier Simpson and Jordan Poole in Ann Arbor, both of whom earned All-Big Ten honors last season. The Detroit native will inherit a talented backcourt at Maryland, too. Cowan, the Terps’ leading scorer last year, announced that he would be returning for his senior year. Guards Eric Ayala, Serrel Smith and Aaron Wiggins all come off promising freshman campaigns, too.

“Throughout the hiring process I was very deliberate about finding the right fit for our coaching staff and we hit a home run with DeAndre,” Turgeon said in a release. “DeAndre is one of the brightest up and coming coaches in the business and has gained experience working for some of the most well-respected coaches in the country.”

[Read more: Maryland basketball forward Bruno Fernando will remain in NBA Draft]

Haynes served under coach John Beilein with the Wolverines, coach Tod Kowalczyk at Toledo and coach Rob Senderoff at his alma mater Kent State before that. Haynes was also a four-year starter for the Golden Flashes, and played professionally in Europe for six years.

Broadus served as one of Turgeon’s main recruiters, with particularly strong ties to the D.C. area. Haynes joins Bino Ranson and Matt Brady as assistants at Maryland.

“I have had some really great assistant coaches during my tenure at the University of Michigan and I can’t say enough about DeAndre Haynes,” Beilein said in a statement provided by Maryland. “He was one of our absolute best. He prioritizes player relationships and our student-athletes developed a complete trust and love for him.”