Opponent: Rutgers (1-5, 0-3 Big Ten)

Location: Capital One Field at Maryland Stadium, College Park, Maryland

Kickoff: Noon EST, Saturday, Oct. 13

Last Matchup: Nov. 4, 2017, in Piscataway, NJ — Rutgers 31, Maryland 24

Last Week: Michigan beat Maryland, Illinois beat Rutgers

Odds: Maryland — 24.5 per Westgate

TV: Big Ten Network — Brandon Gaudin (play-by-play), Glen Mason (analyst)

Streaming: BTN2Go.com

Radio: Maryland Sports Radio Network (105.7 FM Baltimore, 980 AM D.C.) — Johnny Holliday (play-by-play), LaMont Jordan (analyst)

Student Radio: WMUC Sports — Noah Gross and Noah Johnson

Three Things to Watch for Maryland

1. Penalties

In last week’s loss to No. 12 Michigan, Maryland committed 12 penalties, costing the Terps 107 yards. Two of the penalties even saw Maryland players ejected, as both Rayshad Lewis and Tre Watson saw themselves get flagged for targeting. Maryland has been penalized 10 or more times in two other games. Somewhat surprisingly, it was in victories at Bowling Green and against Minnesota.

2. The run game

The Terps have a very boom-or-bust rushing attack. Led by redshirt freshman Anthony McFarland, Maryland has had more than eight yards per carry on two occasions this year in the wins against Bowling Green and Minnesota. In the other three games, the Terps have had less than 4.5 yards per carry. With Maryland averaging around 41 rushes per game this year, expect the run game to once again carry a big load of the offense.

3. Putting pressure on the QB

With Jesse Aniebonam coming back from injury and gaining transfer Byron Cowart, the Terps defensive line is much improved from last year. In the Terps’ two losses, the defense has failed to register a sack, but in the three victories, the defense is averaging 3.67 sacks per game. With Rutgers giving up less than two sacks a game, putting pressure on the quarterback will be a key for the Terps defense.

Three Things to Watch for Rutgers

1. Turnovers

Not much has gone well for the Scarlet Knights this year, and that can be attributed to their ball control on offense. Their quarterbacks have amounted for 12 interceptions this year, and the offense has also coughed up four fumbles. With Maryland’s defense recording at least one takeaway in each game so far, limiting the turnovers is going to be huge for Rutgers.

2. The running backs

Rutgers’ offense has really struggled this year, scoring just 10 touchdowns in six games. The running backs account for seven of those touchdowns. Senior Jonathan Hilliman and sophomore Raheem Blackshear have been bright spots for the Scarlet Knight offense, accounting for just over 600 yards on the season. If Rutgers wants to get going they will have to utilize their running back tandem.

3. Run defense

In its season opener, Rutgers held Texas State to just 69 (nice) rushing yards. Since then, the Rutgers run defense has really struggled. Last week, the Scarlet Knights allowed 330 rushing yards to Illinois. With the aforementioned explosiveness out of Maryland’s backfield, Rutgers will have to be excellent to slow down the Maryland rushing attack.