After his team let Wisconsin cruise to a 38-13 win on Saturday, Maryland football coach DJ Durkin repeated a line he’s used often in recent weeks.

“We’ve got to get off the field on third down,” Durkin said.

Of all the issues the Terps have dealt with during a stretch of four losses in five games, prolonged drives have perhaps been the most frustrating. While Durkin has spent several weeks of practice focusing on situation drills, the team didn’t show much progress on Saturday — the Badgers converted 8 of 13 third downs in their blowout win, dropping Maryland to No. 123 in the nation in third-down defense. Teams are successful on almost half their third downs against the Terps.

So Durkin continued to stress the importance of situational defense this week in hopes the unit can step up Saturday against Indiana.

“There’s been a real clear message this week,” Durkin said, “and I think they’ll respond.”

[Read more: Austin Fontaine wants to bring DeMatha’s winning culture to Maryland football]

Players have been in position to make third-down stops but have failed to execute tackles and break up passes, defensive back Josh Woods said. Those miscues might have to do with the unit’s inexperience — the Terps have five defenders who are full-time starters for the first time in their college careers.

While Maryland has spent Wednesdays working on situational defense, gaining more in-game experience could help defensive coordinator Andy Buh’s group improve.

“It really comes down to just making the plays,” Woods said. “We’re right there. It’s not like guys are running wide open or people are missing their [assignments].”

Senior linebacker Jermaine Carter, one of the most experienced players on the team, was particularly unhappy following the loss to Wisconsin. Given the constant training on third-down defense, he had hoped to see a stronger all-around performance.

Still, he tried to encourage teammates after the game, making sure they didn’t lose confidence as Maryland continues its push for a bowl game. It’s the type of guidance he’s provided throughout his career in College Park.

“He is our leader,” Durkin said. “He really cares about his performance, about his teammates, about studying the opponents, studying our entire defense. He’s everything you’d want your middle linebacker to be.”

[Read more: Maryland football’s running backs aided the passing game at Wisconsin]

Carter is pacing the team with 47 tackles and 2.5 sacks. But for Maryland to secure a win over Indiana and keep its postseason hopes alive, he’ll need more help from his fellow defenders.

The Terps held an opponent below 24 points just once this season.

“We’ve got to play at a higher level,” Durkin said. “We’ve played good defense at times this year, especially earlier in the year. We need to get back to that.”