Maryland football commit and defensive tackle Austin Fontaine doesn’t have much experience with losing. Going into this season, Fontaine’s previous teams at DeMatha amassed 32 wins, lost four times, won three Washington Catholic Athletic Conference titles and completed an undefeated season.

But this season has been different. DeMatha stands at 4-4 and is riding a three-game losing skid. Though other players may be fazed by DeMatha’s situation, Fontaine has a different mindset. Coming from championship teams, he knows how to respond to adversity.

“I gotta look at myself and see what I’m not doing right,” Fontaine said. “I should be leading them. I need to see how I can do better, see how I can execute better. Give more effort, give it all up.”

Fontaine wants to bring that winning culture and attitude to Maryland, a rebuilding program that’s aiming to compete in the Big Ten.

[Read more: Maryland football commits Noah Boykin and Vincent Flythe “are like blood brothers”]

Even if this season doesn’t end with a championship, Fontaine’s future is bright. He’s a four-star recruit and the No. 115 player in the class of 2018, according to 247Sports.

In April, the 6-foot-3, 309-pound defensive tackle committed to Maryland. Fontaine considered Ohio State, Penn State and Clemson, among other perennial national championship contenders. But coach DJ Durkin swayed him to the Terps.

“It’s a great school,” Fontaine said. “I love the academics part. I know the coaches, and they’re going to prepare me for if I want to go to the next level.”

Early in October, Fontaine was selected to play in the Under Armour All-America game. Fontaine bolstered a DeMatha defense the past three years, a unit that allowed 13.42 points per game last season.

“So many people have been selected [to the Under Armour All-America game], and they’re in the league. They’re doing great things in college,” Fontaine said. “It means a lot to me because I can potentially be one of those players, too.”

It’s obvious Fontaine is passionate about football, and he wants to bring that intensity to Maryland the next four years. But football isn’t all that defines Fontaine’s success.

“I want to have something where I can make a good living doing what I love,” Fontaine said. “That’s the main goal, whether that’s in business or going to the league. I just want to do something I love.”