Maryland football coach DJ Durkin spoke with the Big Ten league office this past weekend after criticizing conference referees in losses to Ohio State and Northwestern.

He was frustrated with a late hit from Buckeyes cornerback Damon Arnette on Oct. 7 that sidelined quarterback Max Bortenschlager with an apparent head injury. Arnette wasn’t intially penalized, but officials later ejected him after an official review.

Durkin also bemoaned a questionable fair-catch interference call against the Terps in their game against Northwestern that overturned a fumble recovery deep in Wildcats territory. Durkin said the Big Ten admitted the referees missed the call in a report sent to Maryland on Sunday.

“That’s always one of the those things where you’re glad upon looking at it they do see it right and agree with you on it,” Durkin said. “But then again, when you get the report on Sunday, it doesn’t do you much good.”

[Read more: Maryland football’s 37-21 loss to Northwestern diminishes bowl hopes]

The hit on Bortenschlager inspired a passionate rant from Durkin in Columbus. Though the coach acknowledged the referees got the call right, Durkin felt the initial lack of a flag showed a disregard for Bortenschlager’s safety.

“The quarterback is sliding and he gets hit in the head, and they don’t flag him,” Durkin said after the Ohio State game. “I’m at a loss. … There’s nothing more clear than that.”

[Read more: Maryland football failed to bounce back from a loss for the first time this season]

The fair catch interference call against Northwestern, as well as a non-call on a potential pass interference penalty against the Wildcats, elicited a similar response from Durkin.

“Anyone who watched the game, there isn’t more to say,” Durkin said after the Northwestern game. “There isn’t more to say. Anyone who watched that game. Wow.”