Maryland football running back Lorenzo Harrison joined a crowded backfield when he arrived in College Park for his freshman season, but his jukes and weaves across the field have propelled him to become one of the Terps’ most productive players.

Saturday afternoon against Ohio State, the three-star recruit out of DeMatha Catholic High School has a chance to reach another milestone in a campaign glittered with praise and Big Ten Freshman of the Week honor.

Harrison is 56 yards short of breaking former running back LaMont Jordan’s Maryland rookie rushing record.

Jordan began his decorated Terps career with 689 yards and two touchdowns through 11 games. Harrison, meanwhile, is on pace to surpass that production two games sooner. He set a freshman record with a rushing touchdown in each of the first four games, flashing the shiftiness teammates have lauded throughout the season.

“I love seeing Lolo making people miss,” left guard Mike Minter said after the Terps defeated Michigan State in their most recent home game. “We all know that he’s going to make people miss, so it’s fun to run to the ball, hit somebody, let him get another couple of yards and just keep going. I mean, that’s the whole nature of our offense. Play as hard as you can, as fast as you can for as long as you can.”

Harrison’s chance to set the mark will come as Maryland faces a second consecutive top-10 team while looking to reverse a two-game slide. Ohio State ranks fifth in total defense and 22nd against the rush.