Backup quarterback Tyrrell Pigrome has made an appearance in each of Maryland football’s first five games.

His most notable moment came against Central Florida, when the true freshman came in for injured quarterback Perry Hills and produced a 24-yard touchdown run to give Maryland a double-overtime victory in Orlando.

Here’s Piggy’s TD from @CBSSportsNet https://t.co/UMaKPgDL9n

After Pigrome’s first four games, he had 14 carries for 88 yards to go along with six completions for 76 yards.

Pigrome’s fifth game, however, was a different animal. After Hills left the game with an injury, Pigrome was thrust into the toughest situation he has been in all year: down 10 points on the road against Penn State.

On his first drive, Pigrome found the end zone on a QB keeper to pull the Terps within three points of Penn State. However, the Pigrome-led offense failed to find the end zone in the second half as Maryland went on to lose, 38-14.

Given the tough situation Pigrome was in, coach DJ Durkin had praise for his quarterback’s poise after the loss on Saturday.

“I do like how he came in, and he doesn’t get too high, too low, he just stays even-keeled, which is good, what you like out of your quarterback, and I thought he did some really good things,” Durkin said.

Offensive coordinator Walt Bell echoed the sentiments from the coach.

“I will say this: He is a very cool character,” Bell said. “I’ve been in a bunch of those situations where you can visibly tell that on the inside they’re boiling; they don’t feel real well about it. And there is none of that in him. I thought he had a really admirable performance.”

Bell also knew that playing in a hostile venue such as Beaver Stadium would be an important moment for Pigrome’s growth as a player.

“As we go forward, if he’s gonna play more reps, that’s one more life experience for him to build on so he can be better the next time,” Bell said.

Leading the team against Penn State garnered Pigrome meaningful playing time in a hostile homecoming environment. The experience, Bell said, should pay off as Pigrome develops as a signal-caller in his scheme.