In coach’s DJ Durkin’s first season, the Maryland football team has won their first four games. On the recruiting trail, the program is also excelling.

The Terps’ 2017 class ranks 17th in the country and third in the Big Ten by 247sports.

Playing a significant role in both developments is defensive backs coach Aazaar Abdul-Rahim. In addition to coaching the secondary, Abdul-Rahim was the primary recruiter for three of the six four-star recruits — cornerback Deon Jones, offensive tackle Marcus Minor and quarterback Kasim Hill — in the 2017 class.

The first-year Terps coach has inroads in the region from his time as a head coach at Friendship Collegiate Academy, which have helped him connect with local recruits. But those around him said his ability to relate with these players is what makes the difference.

“He builds relationships, and that’s the biggest factor,” said Friendship Collegiate Academy coach Mike Hunter. “He always puts the kids first, ahead of himself and the game.”

Last week, Abdul-Rahim, Durkin, and defensive line coach Mike London attended the DeMatha Catholic High School-St. John’s College High School football game to see Minor, Hill and fellow Maryland commit Cam Spence, who plays defensive tackle.

Abdul-Rahim also focuses on recruiting players in the south, covering many parts of Georgia, Florida and Alabama specifically.

He spent 10 seasons as head coach at Friendship Collegiate Academy before leaving to be a special assistant and assistant director of player personnel at the University of Alabama. His brother, Muhammad, said Abdul-Rahim learned how much he could grow as a coach under Crimson Tide’s Nick Saban.

But Abdul-Rahim’s recruiting experience came before his two-year stint at Alabama. Hunter, who was the Friendship Collegiate Academy offensive coordinator when Abdul-Rahim was there, remembers him meeting with middle school boys and explaining how he could help them grow as people.

When Abdul-Rahim was recruiting Minor this past year, their conversations branched outside of football. Minor said Abdul-Rahim told him he could help him become a better man, student and brother.

“It’s a people business, and you can’t forget that,” Abdul-Rahim said in June.

Abdul-Rahim has a master’s degree in counseling from San Diego State, something he credits with helping him recruit.

He’s able to connect with people on a personal level, which Hunter said allows Abdul-Rahim to recruit athletes from all different backgrounds.

Muhammad, meanwhile, said Abdul-Rahim’s childhood experiences helped give him perspective.

When Abdul-Rahim was growing up in Lincoln Heights with his seven siblings, the family had one underwear bag and one sock bag. When the kids reached in, it didn’t matter what size they wore. They wore what they pulled out.

“We didn’t come from a strong socio-economic place,” Muhammad said. “Coming from that same environment as a lot of these kids, he’s a success story.”

Using his ability to connect with a wide spectrum of athletes, Abdul-Rahim is building up Maryland’s program. In the new regime’s first two classes, they’ve already secured commitments from 17 players in states up and down the east coast. Abdul-Rahim said it’s a special job for someone who used to run the steps of then-Byrd Stadium with his brother in high school.

Abdul-Rahim has been on both sides of the process. After graduating from Dunbar High School in Washington, D.C., Abdul-Rahim was recruited to be a cornerback at San Diego State, where he recorded 71 tackles and five interceptions.

And knowing how much the college recruitment process can change a teenager’s life, Abdul-Rahim cherishes his role.

“The impact a college coach can make to a kid, whether you’re recruiting them or not,” Abdul-Rahim said. “Sometimes a college coach calling can make all the difference. I take my responsibility very seriously.”