Last week, Maryland was faced with the challenge of stopping Purdue running back Markell Jones.

The sophomore was averaging 105 rushing yards per game prior to the matchup and was coming off a freshman campaign in which he finished top 10 in the Big Ten in both rushing yards and rushing touchdowns. Maryland made a strong statement against the Boilermakers’ leading rusher, holding him to just 23 yards on 12 carries and keeping him out of the end zone.

This week, Maryland is tasked with stopping another sophomore running back: Penn State’s Saquon Barkley.

As a freshman, Barkley burst on to the scene when he rushed for 194 yards against then-No. 1 Ohio State in Columbus. In total, Barkley had five games where he ran for over 100 yards on his way to being named second-team All-Big Ten in his first season in Happy Valley.

This season, Barkley has only rushed for over 100 yards once in five games, but his seven rushing touchdowns are tied for seventh in the nation. Barkley has also featured prominently in Penn State’s offense, averaging over 17 carries per game.

Defensive coordinator Andy Buh had praise for Barkley.

“I can’t say enough about Barkley. He’ll be the best back that we’ve seen thus far,” Buh said. “He can jump cut and spin and the acceleration off of those moves is what has given people problems. It’s what makes him one of the better backs we’ve seen,” he added.

Linebacker Shane Cockerille echoed Buh’s sentiments over Barkley.

“He just has great vision, he’s very athletic and can make all the cuts,” the junior said.

Buh also said that he wants his defense to focus on “open field tackling, running to the ball, swarming and getting as many hats around him as possible,” in order to stop Barkley.

Maryland’s run defense made a statement last week in containing Markell Jones. If they are able to do the same to Barkley, they will make an even bigger statement.