Maryland football quarterback Kasim Hill has entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal, he announced on Twitter on Friday, allowing him to pursue other opportunities away from Maryland football, but not guaranteeing he will depart.

With Hill’s name in the portal, other schools are informed of his interest in a transfer and are able to contact him.

Hill started the first 10 games of the 2018 season for the Terps, completing 84 of 170 passes for 1,083 yards, nine touchdowns and four interceptions. But Hill tore his ACL against Indiana in November, suffering the knee injury for the second straight year, cutting his campaign short. Quarterback Tyrrell Pigrome took over the starting quarterback duties to close the 5-7 season.

“In my first 18 months at the University of Maryland I have experienced many good moments but also some very challenging ones,” Hill wrote on Twitter. “Exploring a transfer will help me make an informed decision about whether a change in venue could benefit my overall recovery, well-being and development.”

Maryland’s passing game rarely produced enough to support its rushing attack with either quarterback last season. The Terps were one failed two-point conversion shy of beating Ohio State and securing bowl eligibility to end a season riddled with uncertainty following the death of offensive lineman Jordan McNair and the firing of coach DJ Durkin.

Hill wrote that he had considered entering the transfer pool under former interim head coach Matt Canada as well as now with coach Mike Locksley, who was hired in December. Should Hill depart, Pigrome would be the likely frontrunner under center, but may face competition from four-star quarterback Lance LeGendre, who was a surprise sign with the Terps on Wednesday.

[Read more: Off-field turmoil defined Maryland football’s season as much as on-field performance]

Pigrome, quarterback Max Bortenschlager, running back Lorenzo Harrison and defensive back Rayshad Lewis had all initially put their names into the transfer portal, but have since withdrawn after Locksley’s hiring.

Defensive backs Qwuantrezz Knight and Marcus Lewis have also entered the transfer portal and have announced their intentions to leave the program, while the Terps picked up former Ohio State linebacker Keandre Jones — who will be immediately eligible — and former Virginia Tech wide receiver Sean Savoy — who’s sitting a year.

Hill entered College Park as a four-star recruit. After Pigrome tore his ACL midway through Maryland’s matchup with Texas in 2017, Hill made his debut and led the team to the first of two upsets over the Longhorns in consecutive years. Hill played in two more games before suffering his own season-ending injury.

[Read more: Despite heavy redaction, surveillance videos provide insight into Jordan McNair’s final workout]

Because Hill’s sophomore injury was sustained much later in the season, it’s much more unlikely the Washington, D.C., native will be ready to return by next year’s season opener. If Hill does transfer, he will be forced to sit out a season unless granted a waiver to play immediately.

“I have not made any final decisions on leaving Maryland and my decision to enter the portal is not a criticism of the University or of the staff,” Hill wrote on Twitter. “I did not want this news or my decision about entering the portal to interfere with Coach Lock’s efforts to build the 2019 recruiting class.”