MINNEAPOLIS — If last week was the pinnacle of Maryland football’s season, Saturday was its rock bottom.

The Terps’ comeback win over USC masked many of the team’s issues. But Maryland (4-4, 1-4 Big Ten) showed it’s still a flawed team, and nearly all those deficiencies appeared in Minnesota’s 48-23 decisive victory. The Gophers led by as much as 38 points on Saturday.

Minnesota (5-3, 3-2 Big Ten) outclassed the Terps in every aspect. The Gophers eclipsed 30 points once this season entering the game, where they scored 31 points in the first half. Minnesota quarterback Max Brosmer threw for his season-high in touchdowns and passing yards before the third quarter ended.

“I’m frustrated a little bit,” coach Michael Locksley said, “because it’s always the toughest part for you as a coach is to have patience.”

Maryland didn’t play well on offense or defense, but its coaching staff also made some questionable decisions early. Coach Michael Locksley called consecutive plays out of the shotgun on third and fourth down in the first quarter. Neither play picked up the first down and Minnesota scored on the ensuing possession.

[The transfer portal has changed backup quarterbacks’ roles in college football]

The Terps second-leading receiver Kaden Prather was sidelined in favor of Shaleak Knotts on Billy Edwards Jr.’s first interception.

The quarterback attempted to throw a hitch to Knotts, which Locksley called a poor decision due to the coverage.

“[Edwards] said, ‘I was just trying to get a completion.’ And to me, that’s where I’m like, Billy, that’s not how you get the completion. And so as soon as it happened, I’m screaming ‘oh, no, what are we doing?’,” Locksley said.

Edwards threw another interception on the Terps’ next drive, and Maryland finished the first quarter down by 21 points.

Locksley’s team isn’t skilled enough to make those types of mistakes. The Terps are the 14th-most talented team in the Big Ten, according to 247 Sports. They compound that by being the fifth-most penalized team in the conference and committed five infractions on Saturday.“I’ll just say it’s a lack of consistency,” Tai Felton said. “We’re doing it sometimes, we’re not doing it sometimes.”

Everything Maryland has struggled with this season was apparent at Huntington Bank Stadium. The Big Ten’s worst pass defense allowed Brosmer to throw for 320 yards with just seven incompletions.

Minnesota wide receiver Daniel Jackson caught nine passes for 117 yards and two touchdowns. He created separation with ease on a majority of his receptions.

“It’s frustrating that they don’t have the consistency to get it done every single play,” Locksley said about the secondary. “We got to keep coaching these guys, but I also think there’s some responsibility on these guys to also take the techniques and everybody has to be prepared to execute.”

The Gophers entered Saturday allowing the fourth-fewest passing yards per game in the country and forced Edwards to struggle. He completed 19 of his 35 passes with no touchdowns and two interceptions.

[Inside Maryland football’s analytically-driven strength and conditioning program]

He faced constant pressure, a persistent theme this season. Edwards was hit five times and both picks were thrown from a muddied pocket.

Locksley’s shoulders slumped and his head bowed after Edwards’ second interception. He’s struck familiar poses this season, a brief insight into the frustration that the coach has experienced.

MJ Morris entered the game in the fourth quarter and led two touchdown drives. The backup quarterback completed the Terps’ best pass of the day — a 49-yard post route to Knotts.

Minnesota’s 48 points were the most Maryland has allowed to an unranked opponent since Nebraska scored 51 in 2019. But this feeling isn’t unfamiliar for Terp fans. The program has allowed 40 or more points in at least one game each year since 2010.

Locksley said last week that his team showed significant growth. He insisted that his team could “win big”. While this week’s loss doesn’t change the magnitude of that win, Maryland took another step backward against Minnesota.