Excuse Maryland fans for feeling ambitious.

They’ve watched countless defeats to superior opponents and futile comeback efforts over the years. They saw two dispiriting home losses this season. So when Maryland stormed back from a 14-point deficit to beat USC, 29-28, elated fans poured onto SECU Stadium field.

Maryland showed a resiliency that’s been rare under coach Michael Locksley. Saturday was the second time it has come back from a 10-plus point deficit after halftime in his six seasons.

“We’ve gone through a lot of adversity, and we’ve tried to just continue to push through. Push through, and finally be on the right side of the game when adversity struck,” quarterback Billy Edwards Jr. said.

The Terps trailed by 14 points in the fourth quarter. A fourth-down attempt at USC’s four-yard line went awry when Edwards missed an open Tai Felton in the end zone. USC’s top-rated passing offense had 53 seconds to win the game.

The Terps’ special teams, which had made prior mistakes, blocked a field goal attempt that would’ve put USC ahead by two scores. Edwards made clutch throws after tossing a third-quarter interception. Defensive coordinator Brian Williams’ unit only allowed seven second-half points.

It was a balanced team effort, something Locksley has pleaded for from his team this season.

[Maryland football comes back from two-possession deficit, beats USC, 29-28]

Unlike the past, Saturday was not about the Terps’ failed opportunities. Maryland took advantage of the Trojans’ mistakes and pounced on key opportunities.

Dante Trader Jr. and Tai Felton talked for nearly the entire halftime, Edwards said. Their message was pointed: The team had nothing to lose.

“I think what y’all saw was this team grow right before your eyes,” Locksley said.

Locksley, the recently appointed offensive play-caller, made key coaching decisions that ended in his favor. Maryland attempted a two-point conversion down eight points with under 10 minutes remaining — an analytically supported move.

Edwards converted the attempt. Maryland only needed six points to secure the victory.

Locksley tried to establish the ground game after rushing for zero yards in the first half against one of the conference’s worst run defenses. It paid off, Nolan Ray dashed for a 33-yard scamper and Roman Hemby scored on a physical touchdown run.

[Maryland volleyball’s tumble continues in straight set loss to Illinois]

The Terps have lost three conference games in a row every year since 2019, excluding the pandemic-shortened 2020 season. They avoided repeating history Saturday.

The game could be a turning point in the team’s season.

Maryland’s bowl prospects have increased dramatically.The Trojans, at one point the No. 11 team in the country, were projected to win for the majority of the game, but Maryland defied those odds.

“We can win a real game. We can win big,” Locksley said. “I think today was a step in the right direction.”

Many fans departed after halftime. But the ones who stayed experienced the first field rushing of the Locksley era, a celebration Edwards said he would never forget.

Linebacker Caleb Wheatland, who delivered a big blow to USC running back Woody Marks to seal the game, was just excited to get to the locker room. The excitement was palpable.

“I never seen so much water before,” Wheatland said.