Welcome to The Diamondback Sports Digest. Every week, we send you a rundown of the latest Maryland athletics news.

Maryland football had its worst loss of the season — and arguably of the Michael Locksley era — Friday against Northwestern.

In this week’s newsletter, we’ll discuss the football program’s state, men’s basketball’s fascinating incoming freshman and the season’s first coaching change.

Maryland football’s ugly loss

Preston Howard puts his hands on his hips during Maryland football’s 37-10 loss to Northwestern on Oct. 11, 2024. (Akash Raghu/The Diamondback)

Maryland remains winless in post-bye week contests under Locksley. The Terps had lost by an average margin of 26.5 points in such games under their coach before Friday. Northwestern won 37-10, narrowly eclipsing the mark.

Locksley took over play-calling duties in place of offensive coordinator Josh Gattis. The Terps turned in their lowest scoring output of the season by a wide margin despite pacing Northwestern in total yardage, first downs and possession time.

Maryland is 0-3 in conference play and off to its worst Big Ten start since 2015. With USC coming to College Park this week, followed by road matchups at Minnesota and No. 2 Oregon, things won’t get easier for the Terps anytime soon.

Hype is building around Derik Queen

(Photo courtesy of Maryland Athletics)

There’s been no shortage of excitement from fans about Maryland men’s basketball freshman Derik Queen. Queen is equally thrilled to be home after spending the last three years at Florida prep school Montverde Academy.

I spoke with Queen and those who know him best to learn what makes the five-star freshman tick. The answer? Family and basketball. Queen will get both at Maryland, living out part of his basketball dream in front of the people he cares about most.

Queen reportedly dropped 24 points and seven rebounds in a closed scrimmage against Georgetown on Saturday. He seems poised to make an immediate impact with opening night three weeks away.

Maryland women’s soccer shakes things up

Coach Meghan Ryan Nemzer during Maryland women’s soccer’s 0-0 draw with Purdue on Sept. 21, 2023. (Eric Robinson/The Diamondback)

Maryland athletics announced Thursday it was parting ways with coach Meghan Ryan Nemzer and promoting Michael Marchiano to interim head coach. Nemzer compiled a 10-25-14 overall record, and the Terps were amid a 16-game Big Ten winless streak.

After losing 5-0 to No. 20 Penn State the day of the coaching change, Maryland broke the streak and scored two goals against Nebraska on Sunday. Delaney DeMartino scored the first goal in the first half and Katie Coyle doubled the lead in the 76th minute.

While they likely won’t magically ascend the Big Ten standings, the Terps have a chance to build off their win and salvage a lost year in their final three regular season games.

Best Bits

• Maryland men’s soccer is thankful Sadam Masereka made the jump from the NAIA to the NCAA after his game-winner against Michigan State.
  • Locksley’s former teammates and players told stories lauding his authenticity.
  • Rose Coats, originally self-trained, is having a breakout season with Maryland women’s cross country.
  • Maryland volleyball is struggling in what coach Adam Hughes calls the “red zone,” hurting the Terps in Big Ten play.
  • Learn more about seven of Maryland’s largest athletic venues.

Stat of the week

Before Sunday, Maryland women’s soccer hadn’t scored a goal against a conference opponent since Oct. 23, 2022.

Quote of the week

“Nobody ever said that it’ll be linear,” Locksley said after Saturday’s loss to Northwestern. “Today we took a step back, and we’re going to find a way to turn this frustration into something positive and productive this week.”