Maryland men’s soccer coach Sasho Cirovski is a fan of graduate student Alex Nitzl’s flexibility.

Nitzl started in the midfield last season, often linking up with Leon Koehl in the central areas of the pitch. The Germany native switched to the Terps’ backline in 2024, playing right back primarily.

Leading to two clean sheets against Wisconsin and Indiana, he’s helped solidify Maryland’s defense at the start of Big Ten play this season.

“He’s one of the most versatile players in all of college soccer,” Cirovski said. “He’s comfortable playing anywhere in the midfield or the backline and just transitions with such ease. He’s a huge piece to our team.”

Maryland’s starting right back, Kento Abe, graduated last year. Junior Brian St. Martin and freshman Jace Clark began the season on the right side of the defense with starts against UMBC and Georgetown, respectively.

[Maryland men’s soccer beats Indiana, 1-0, after overnight weather delay]

Nitzl started the first two matches of the season in the midfield. He’s routinely played both midfield and defense depending on player health.

In the Terps’ third contest of the season against Detroit Mercy, Nitzl began the match at right back. He’s played there since as a crucial part to Maryland’s now-stout back line.

“For me personally, it’s not that big of a challenge,” Nitzl said. “I’ve played all of those positions before. And yes, they might be a little bit different, but overall the style we want to play doesn’t change.”

Nitzl’s presence at right back prevented Indiana from scoring in the Terps’ 1-0 win against the Hoosiers.

Indiana forward Tommy Mihalic controlled a bouncing ball at the top of Maryland’s box. The Hoosiers goal-scoring threat dribbled into the penalty area with Nitzl close by. Mihalic was forced to shoot early with Nitzl running him down, firing a volley over the crossbar.

[Maryland women’s soccer drops third straight, falls to Oregon, 2-0]

Mihalic later received a pass and sprinted into the Maryland box. Nitzl confronted Mihalic with the ball at his feet. Nitzl forced the Hoosiers’ forward to cut inside and shoot, which Terps’ goalkeeper Laurin Mack punched away as one of his career-high five saves.

Nitzl’s ability to quickly close down opposing attackers in his new role has cemented Maryland’s defense. He took space from Indiana’s leading scorer on two occasions, not allowing him to collect his fifth tally of the year.

Maryland has conceded just two goals in its last four games and has not given up more than one goal in a match all month. Since Nitzl slotted into the Terps’ back four in their third match, he has produced stifling defensive displays on a consistent basis.

Nitzl’s versatility paired with the return of defender Bjarne Thiesen from injury has given the Terps a solid foundation. That must continue if Maryland wants sustained success in conference matches this year.