Maryland Gov. Wes Moore launched the new Maryland Climate Corps program and the second year of his Service Year Option program at the University of Maryland’s Reckord Armory on Wednesday.

The Maryland Climate Corps aims to grow the state’s climate workforce by offering service opportunities and places Maryland as a national climate leader to address the impacts of climate change, according to a news release from Moore.

“We are going to make sure that future generations will inherit something even more beautiful than what we inherited in the first place,” Moore said in his speech Wednesday.

Moore proposed Maryland’s Service Year Option program in February 2023 to provide people aged 18 to 21 with a nine-month paid work and mentorship opportunity, The Diamondback previously reported. On Wednesday, Moore also launched the 2024-25 cohort of Maryland Corps — a similar program created in 2016 that is open to adults of all ages.

Watching his mother struggle financially when he was young motivated him to implement the service year program, Moore said.

This year’s cohort includes more than 600 members who represent all Maryland jurisdictions, according to the news release. The participants will work with “150 host site partners, representing non-profit organizations, businesses and more than 20 government agencies,” the news release said.

[Maryland Gov. Wes Moore launches service year program at UMD event]

Maryland Lt. Gov. Aruna Miller and university president Darryll Pines joined Moore and gave speeches to promote the programs.

“With great opportunities comes great responsibility, a responsibility to give back and pay it forward,” Miller said in her speech.

During the event, Pines thanked the Moore administration for championing public higher education and cited this university’s Do Good Institute as an example of how the school invests in communities for the public good.

“Today is yet another example of how we are working to meet our obligations for our local community, our state and our nation by leveraging Maryland’s tremendous talent to give back,” Pines said.

The launch took place on the Sept. 11 National Day of Service and Remembrance and honored people and service members killed during the attacks.

During Wednesday’s launch event, around 1,000 people, including program members, veterans, National Guard members and other volunteers, participated in a service project to assemble first-aid kits and book bags for first responders and other community members, according to the news release.

[Some Marylanders can now file taxes for free with IRS direct system]

Paul Cruz, a Maryland Climate Corps member from Prince George’s County, was placed to work with Maryland’s environment department for the next nine months. He said he’s noticed increased environmental changes in recent years, which inspired him to join the program.

“I always felt very passionate about the environment and nature,” Cruz said to The Diamondback. “I hope to have more tools to be able to make these choices about my career and future.”

Many of Cruz’ peers didn’t consider other options after high school besides applying for college. He said he hopes more people learn about the program and other opportunities available to them.

In his speech, Moore emphasized the importance of the program’s second cohort.

The first year of the program helped build a foundation, but the second will reaffirm Maryland’s commitment to service for the rest of the nation, Moore said.

“Maryland, this is not a moment. This is a movement,” Moore said. “You are leading the entire country.”