Purple Line construction in the core of the University of Maryland campus will be less disruptive this academic year, as the construction is set to complete a year ahead of its previous schedule, according to a campuswide email sent Wednesday.

The Maryland Department of Transportation accelerated construction on campus, university vice president and chief administrative officer Carlo Colella wrote in the email. Minor work on the project will continue.

Construction on campus was previously expected to finish by 2025.

“Purple Line construction work will be much less impactful in the heart of campus,” Colella wrote.

Campus Drive between Alumni Drive and Regents Drive is now a two-way road, the email said. This will change when Purple Line trains begin operational testing in 2026.

Two new segments of bike lanes on parts of Campus Drive and Paint Branch Drive are also complete, the email said. The Department of Transportation Services hopes the lanes “increase connectivity to campus for micromobility vehicles,” Colella wrote.

[UMD construction updates: Major Purple Line construction likely to finish in fall 2024]

Collela also outlined changes in Shuttle-UM routes this fall.

DOTS has combined two previous Shuttle-UM routes to create the new 104 College Park Metro/Discovery District route, which includes a loop that incorporates campus, the College Park Metro Station and Riverdale Park Station during weekdays, according to the email.

The 128 The Nine Shuttle-UM route has been adjusted to accommodate the area that used to be part of the 127 Mazza GrandMarc route, which was removed. Management of the student housing complex chose not to renew Shuttle-UM service, the email said.

The Route 1 upgrade is almost complete, according to the email. Improvements to the road include widened sidewalks, resurfaced roads and added bike lanes. The remainder of the work is median plantings and the completion of Route 1’s intersection with Rossborough Lane.

The State Highway Administration led the $29 million widening project to improve safety for pedestrians, drivers and cyclists.

Other projects and changes outlined in Wednesday’s email include mandatory training requirements for registering micromobility vehicles and a reduced campus speed limit. The limit on campus is now 15 mph.