CLARIFICATION: This story and its headline have been updated to better reflect that most of this university’s Purple Line construction will be completed by fall 2024, which was originally scheduled to be completed in 2025.

The University of Maryland has several in-progress construction projects on campus.

The projects include the Purple Line, which will run through this university and bridge New Carrollton with parts of Montgomery County, and new academic buildings.

Here’s a look at some of the current construction projects on campus.

Purple Line

Most of this university’s Purple Line construction will likely be completed by fall 2024, university president Darryll Pines told The Diamondback Wednesday.

“Over the last couple of months, we’ve been fortunate to work with the state to accelerate the construction of the Purple Line through the center of campus,” Pines said.

While the line is scheduled to start carrying passengers in December 2027, most of its construction on campus was expected to be completed by 2025, according to this university’s administration division website.

The light rail project would connect this university to Washington, D.C. and Maryland suburbs. Five of the light rail’s 21 stops will be on this university’s campus.

Construction for the project has caused road and sidewalk closures across Campus Drive for the past few years.

[Here’s a look at the College Park business scene in 2024]

Memoona Munir, a senior biology major, said that while the construction has posed an “inconvenience” for many students, it will ultimately benefit the campus community.

“It’s going to be really convenient for students that go here,” Munir said. “The end result is going to be worth it.”

Cole Head House and Cultural Center

Construction in the Cole Head House will add five new cultural centers to this university.

The cultural centers will be for the Latinx, Native American and Indigenous, multiracial and biracial, Asian, Pacific Islander and Desi American communities along with students with disabilities, The Diamondback previously reported.

Demolition inside the facility is “essentially complete” and construction is currently in progress, according to a statement by Facilities Management.

The $22 million project is expected to be substantially completed by May 2025.

Barry P. Gossett Basketball Performance Center

The new performance center, located next to Xfinity Center, will be the first dedicated basketball practice facility for the men’s and women’s teams, The Diamondback previously reported.

Underground utility installation is in progress and the center’s concrete foundations are nearing completion, according to Facilities Management.

[UMD community members celebrate launch of new AI institute]

The $52 million project is scheduled to be substantially completed by June 2025.

Stanley R. Zupnik Hall

The new academic building will provide new space for the mechanical and civil engineering department.

Construction for the $214 million project began in January 2023 and is estimated to be substantially completed by May 2026.

Installation of underground utilities and concrete structures is in progress, the Facilities Management statement said.

Paint Branch Drive Cycle Pathway

The $150,000 project will replace one of Paint Branch Drive’s lanes with a dedicated bike pathway, Facilities Management said in a statement to The Diamondback.

Construction for the project is expected to begin in July and be substantially completed in August.