Four-star quarterback Malik Washington committed to Maryland on Friday, he announced on a 247Sports YouTube livestream. The Archbishop Spalding rising senior is the eighth-ranked prospect in Maryland and the No. 23 quarterback in the 2025 class, per 247Sports’ composite rankings.

The local product selected Maryland out of a final group that included the Terps, Syracuse, UCF and Virginia Tech. Washington is currently the Terps’ highest-rated commit and one of three four-stars along Iverson Howard and Carlton Smith.

He is the first four-star quarterback to commit to Maryland out of high school since Kasim Hill in 2017.

Along with Washington, his Spalding teammate and three-star cornerback Jayden Shipps committed to the Terps on the livestream.

Washington was named the 2023-24 Baltimore Sun high school boys Athlete of the Year on Wednesday. He led the Cavaliers to their second straight Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference championship as a junior.

[DeMatha ties, chance to play two sports drew Bud Coombs to Maryland]

The 6-foot-4, 215-pound quarterback completed 195 of 313 passes for 2,093 yards and 21 touchdowns. Washington also rushed for 225 yards with six rushing touchdowns.

Washington was also named to the Baltimore Sun’s 2023-24 All-Metro boys basketball first team. He averaged 18 points and 9.5 rebounds.

Washington traveled to Maryland on the weekend of June 21, the last official visit before his decision, 247Sports reported. The quarterback placed Maryland in his top six schools — along with Oregon and Penn State — in January, before narrowing his group to four teams.

The Spalding product is the first quarterback in his class to commit to Maryland. He could join up to seven quarterbacks currently on the roster with eligibility for 2025, including Billy Edwards, Cam Edge and MJ Morris.