Prince George’s County Executive Angela Alsobrooks won the Democratic nomination in Maryland to replace retiring U.S. Sen. Ben Cardin.

Alsobrooks earned nearly 53 percent of the vote when The Associated Press called the race Tuesday at 9:55 p.m. Alsobrooks defeated nine other challengers in a crowded Democratic field to replace Cardin, including Rep. David Trone (D-Md.). Alsobrooks will face former Maryland Republican Gov. Larry Hogan in November’s general election.

Alsobrooks became Prince George’s County’s first female county executive in 2018 after serving as the state’s attorney in the county from 2011 to 2018.

Throughout her Senate campaign, the lifelong Prince Georgian has touted her accomplishments in reducing violent crime by 50 percent as a state’s attorney and strengthening the economy as county executive, according to her website.

As senator, Alsobrooks vows to support federal protection for abortion rights, expand healthcare access, pursue criminal justice reform and invest in agricultural research, her website said.

Alsobrooks earned endorsements from prominent state leaders, including Maryland Gov. Wes Moore, Sen. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) and Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.). She also received endorsements from EMILY’s List — a PAC that supports abortion rights — and The Washington Post’s editorial board.

She served as Prince George’s County Executive during Hogan’s gubernatorial tenure, where the pair sparred over policies, including the state’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

If elected, Alsobrooks would be the fourth-ever Black woman to serve as a U.S. senator and the first to represent Maryland.