Maryland voters will head to the polls on May 14 to elect a Democratic nominee for the U.S. Senate.

Ten Maryland Democrats are vying to replace retiring Sen. Ben Cardin (D-Md.). The race to replace Cardin has seen record spending and intense competition among the race’s top candidates.

Here is a look at the Democratic candidates for the seat. Candidates are listed alphabetically by last name.

Read more about the Republican candidates here.

Angela Alsobrooks

Prince George’s County Executive Angela Alsobrooks is running to boost the economy, reduce the cost of living, improve healthcare and strengthen education, according to her campaign website.

Alsobrooks would also co-sponsor legislation aiming to establish federal protections for abortion on her first day in office, the website said

Before being elected as Prince George’s County’s first female county executive in 2018, Alsobrooks served as the state’s attorney for Prince George’s County from 2011 to 2018.

In a May 2 interview with CBS News, Alsobrooks said she is confident the Democratic party will win the open seat in November’s election.

“We’re going to have to bring out younger voters, women voters, diverse voters across the state,” Alsobrooks told CBS News.

Alsobrooks has received endorsements from several state leaders, including Gov. Wes Moore and Maryland Sen. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.). She also received an endorsement from The Washington Post’s editorial board.

[Survey reveals Maryland trans community faces physical threats, delayed medical treatment]

Alsobrooks has raised more than $7.5 million throughout her campaign, according to Federal Election Commission reports. The figure is the second-highest for any candidate in the race, trailing only Rep. David Trone (D-Md.).

Alsobrooks did not respond to multiple interview requests from The Diamondback.

Michael W. Cobb Sr.

Cobb said the state’s working class needs better representation, according to The Baltimore Banner

Cobb did not respond to an interview request from The Diamondback.

Marcellus Crews

Marcellus Crews, a business owner from Upper Marlboro, said he hopes to better the state’s education system.

“[I’m] tired of people not connecting the dots between education and poverty, welfare and crime, and mental health” Crews said

Schools should provide students with professional certifications and provide more job opportunities, Crews said.

“People are losing the dream of education,” he told The Diamondback. “People are who fuel the economic engine of this country, and I think we’ve lost sight of that.”

Crews also plans to establish a coalition of local community leaders to discuss issues facing the state, he said.

Brian E. Frydenborg

Brian E. Frydenborg, a Wheaton resident, has worked as a writer, journalist and consultant, including for governmental organizations, which he said will give him a unique perspective

“I see how a lot of these things work together,” Frydenborg told The Diamondback. “I see how the policy ends up playing on the grounds. I see how it’s crafted. I see the political and procedural hurdles involved.”

[Wes Moore to be UMD’s 2024 commencement speaker]

As senator, Frydenborg said he would support a tax deduction for renters and a tax cut for companies who pay employees “above-average wages.”

Frydenborg also supports a temporary ceasefire in Israel and Gaza, he said.

Scottie J. Griffin

Scottie J. Griffin, a Silver Spring resident who works in education, said her priority is addressing the climate crisis, according to MoCo360’s voter’s guide,

If elected, Griffin said she would introduce legislation to reduce carbon emissions, according to MoCo360 .

Griffin did not respond to an interview request from The Diamondback.

Robert K. Houton

Robert K. Houton, a Bethesda resident, said he is running for Senate to address the nation’s opioid crisis.

Houton said he was inspired to run after one of his children’s friends died after consuming a laced fentanyl pill.

Passing the Fentanyl Safe Testing and Overdose Prevention Act, which aims to increase access to fentanyl test strips, would be one of Houton’s priorities in the Senate, he said.

After the May 14 primary, Houton said he plans to organize a write-in campaign for himself to raise awareness about the fentanyl crisis for November’s election.

“It will draw attention to the issue of fentanyl that’s plaguing so many Maryland communities,” Houton told The Diamondback.

Joseph Perez

Riverdale resident Joseph Perez has worked in information technology and as a project manager.

Perez, a self-proclaimed “old-school Democrat,” plans to support increased oversight of government funding and decreasing the tax burden on low and middle-income families, according to his campaign website.

Perez did not respond to an interview request The Diamondback.

Steven Henry Seuferer

Steven Seuferer, a Montgomery Village resident who has worked in customer service and information technology, said he plans to address healthcare, social equity and taxation issues.

Seuferer said he would establish a panel of healthcare workers to review and advise on healthcare legislation.

Seuferer also supports measures to protect abortion rights and combat anti-trans legislation, he said.

If elected, Seuferer said he would live-stream his day on a body camera to promote transparency with his constituents.

“I got tired of seeing the direction the country was going in and also seeing that my vote wasn’t really making any difference,” he said.

David J. Trone

Rep. David Trone (D-Md.) has served as Maryland’s sixth congressional district since 2019. The district includes western Maryland and parts of Montgomery County.

Trone, a Cheverly native, said that he is “far and away the left-leaning, progressive” candidate in the race.

Trone, the founder of Total Wine & More — a multi-billion-dollar liquor retailer — has largely self-funded his campaign. Trone has provided his campaign with at least $54 million and has raised almost $800,000 from donations.

He supports criminal justice reform, increased funding for mental health care and medical research and free community college.

“There’s a lot of big changes we need to make to this country,” Trone said to The Diamondback. “But it takes someone that has the time to put in to meet the other side.”

House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY) and Maryland Congressman Dutch Ruppersberger (D-Md.) have both endorsed Trone.

Trone’s first priority in the Senate would be to form a coalition with Republican senators to remove the threat of a filibuster, he said. Trone also supports term limits, he added.

Andrew Wildman

Andrew Wildman told The Diamondback he’s running for Senate because he’s a “life-long political junkie.”

“I am totally disturbed about the condition of the country right now — socially, economically,” he said.

Wildman said he plans to prioritize closing the borders and childrens’ safety in schools.